97 GTX problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 GTX problems

I have a 97 GTX with a new SBT motor installed at a seadoo dealer late last summer. It ran good last summer before it was winterized. This spring it started up fine, runs real good for 10 minutes then stalls at idle and sputters at high speeds. Last week while riding at half throttle the motor just cut out and when I pressed the start button, the starter just clicked and the engine did not crank over. After hitting the start button 5 times the engine cranked normally but only started with full throttle applied. Then it would run for 10 seconds and cut out again. This happened again and after 5 times of this same sequence it ran ok at half throttle and i made it back to the dock. After that i pulled it out of the water to flush, it started idled and ran fine. I tried to start it an hour after flushing it, and it would only crank and not start.I checked the battery terminals and charge of the battery and they were both fine. The new motor has less 5 hours on it, and 2 new oem carbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: 97 GTX problems

First do a compression test. If the compression is low in one or bith clyinders, you need to exercise your warranty on the motor. You could have a fuel supply problem or an oil injection problem.

If the compression is good and equal in both clyinders, you could have something like a bad rectifier creating RF interference with the CDI ignition. In that case you need to test the charging system at the battery, which I just explained in a post a few minutes ago.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
    X