In-Line Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-Line Oil Filter

I was getting ready to change the oil filter and went to get one from a dealer... the one he gave me is much smaller in size than the one I have on my ski. He said that the one I have is the wrong filter... I havent done anything yet, but wanted to know if THERE IS an alternate one to use and if one is better than the other? the small one (the one I will be installing) is about an inch long, and is supposed to fit on the 8mm line.. the one that is on my ski NOW is about 2 inches long and about twice as thick in diameter than the one the dealer gave me.

Re: In-Line Oil Filter

It would be nice to know what kind of pwc you are talking about.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

the seadoo SPX 1996, He said that the Oil filter was to be used on all 2 stroke seadoos.

Comment

Oil Filter part number # 275 000 262

About 2.5-3 inches long and about 3.4-1 inch in diameter is a Sea Doo oil filter.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

I went online and searched for oil filters and at the www.parkeryamaha.com site I found that the oil fitler for seadoo looks like the one that I have on my ski... after searching around for the filter the dealer gave me I found one that looks very similar to the one, but its for a polaris watercraft. was this just a mistake on the dealer??? I can show the pictures I found, but will wait for a response.

Comment

yeah, the dealer def. gave me the wrong filter... after going back twice to confirm it he insisted... I shoulda asked for the part number. Thanks bill

Comment

it may have been dealers are comically notorious for not knowing the stuff they sell. But then again an inline filter is an inline filter and as long as it isnt clogged it should be okay whichever one you use.

Comment

The oil, nor the motor, will know it is not a Sea Doo filter, but a Polaris filter. So, why not use what you got? If it will work on a Polaris, it will work on a Sea Doo.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

it is amazing that something like this could happen, luckily it wasnt a part that coulda caused a big problem... my mentality is that if its got to do with oil, its IMPORTANT!! and should be the manufacturers filter. wouldnt a smaller filter be more likely to clog in a lesser amount of time?

Comment

Sure it would, but then again, in all my years of repairing Sea Doo and other watercraft, I've probably only seen a couple with clogged oil filters, and they had water in the oil tanks.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM

Comment

KH look at it this way by nature of our sport we are doing things that shouldnt be done putting motors in water trying to then jump waves which leads to making sure that we do lots of maintanence at 1-2 dollars I dont think I would worry about needing to change it out a few more times over the life of the ski than I would with the other one.

Comment

OK thanks alot Bill and Frankey, I guess Im just a little nervous with the new (to me) ski :) all these posts about blown engines and problems makes me a little more cautious when it comes to preventative maintenence especially the oil lines, pump and filters.

Comment

Gooid. Then we are getting through to people.
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

Again by nature of what we are doing it is contradictory so it takes lots of maintanence I would say that lots of these blown motors and such are lack of proper maintanence and such.

Comment

Working...
                            X