98' GSX Fuel gauge/baffle problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98' GSX Fuel gauge/baffle problems

Can someone please please help me before I light my watercraft on fire...

Recently I just had my seadoo repaired in the shop for a mpem module problem and now, once I have it back, my fuel gauge is reading empty along with the annoying low fuel beeping sound that makes my ears bleed. I need to know what to do in order to keep myself from bringing it into the shop again and losing my college fund in order to fix it. Does anyone have any info on how to diagnose the problem or to fix the problem? I've checked some posts and all seem to help but I kinda need a step-by-step type process to figure out what's wrong so I don't screw it up. If anyone has the time to kinda walk me through it or at least give me some information on how to fix this I'd really appreciate it. The watercraft is a 98' GSX if that helps.
    I'm pretty sure I need to pull the gas tank toward me and pull the baffle/sender out to check that. Also need to check the float to make sure that's not the problem either. Does anyone know how to make the beeping stop also until I fix the problem? Thanks - Dan

Re: 98' GSX Fuel gauge/baffle problems

first off you need to disconnect the two wires and ohm the two wires together for continuity.. (baffle side of wire harness.. not the side that goes to the mpem)
    you should read 0 as a continuous circuit. if not then theres a chance that the fuse on the circuit board of the baffle blew..
    if you do read 0 then theres a chance that the baffle is still good but the float is either bad or the magnet broke./fell off
    the float could also be stuck at the bottom...
    To check if your guage is good jump the harness side of the pink-black wires together with a piece of electrical wire and at the same time press the start-stop button (key does not have to be in)(just as long as you get gauges to come on)
    you should read full.. this tells you the gauge is good
    i know i am missing some stuff so if you want you can ring me.
    361-438-0418 Mike
    you also may need to remove the steering (4 bolts ) to access the sending unit(baffle) for repair or replacement.
    i know of a way to cut open the baffle and solder to fix the fuse.
    sorry for the long post

Comment

oh yeah.. if you ohm it and it comes up that it does not have continuity then your baffle has blown the fuse and you must remove it.

Comment

No No, don't worry about the long post cuz the more info the better... I'm just getting to the point where I figure that it's wiser to attempt to fix problems that don't necessarily need the expertise of the guys down at the shops. I'd rather go ahead and try it out. My dad's an electrician so he can pretty much take care of the electrical part of what needs to be done but the part that has me worried is the actual procedure involved in getting to the baffel itself... I hear it's a long procedure but worth it in the end when you realize you saved yourself $200+ in shop fees.
        I'm gonna go ahead and try what you said with checking the wires for and hopefully they'll read 0 and I can narrow it down to the float, which'll cost a lot less. And I've beed reading up on some people who've been cutting the baffle open to solder the fuse, but maybe you could give me a better description if I call which I hope you don't mind... Thanks a lot, it's nice that people are willing to help out
        Sorry for the long reply too....haha

O yeah, which exact wires are the ones I need to ohm? Is it the 2 pink ones going into the baffel?

Comment

yes.. there is only two that go to the baffle.. pink and pink-black
          ohm these

Comment

When I ohm the 2 wires I should be checking the wires that are going directly into the baffle right? And should I be checking these with the engine running or off just with the key in? I checked them without the engine running and couldn't get a signal from the baffle but when checking the wires going into the mpem I received a signal? Thanks

Comment

Alright I think I've gotten the problem down... Sorry i keep posting but I'm trying to understand it... I've got no continuity coming from the baffle and I do read a full tank when I jump the wires going into the mpem... So I'm betting on a bad sender or blown fuse...

I do have some funk goo inside of the wire connector though? I'm wondering if this is some kind of grease to protect it or if this is trouble? Any guesses? I'm wondering if I should try and clean it out or leave it after I pull the baffle...

And how safe is the solder technique over the blown fuse? Is there a way to make it safer than just jumping the blown fuse with solder blob or wire? I'm just worried about a malfunction that's gonna explode the sea-doo and I... - Dan

Comment

your baffle is bad..
                you dont need any power to ohm a circuit. you can check any baffle out of the ski by what i told you..
                and the goo is dielectric grease.. leave it in and i always put more.
                soldering it is fine but if worried you can put an inline fuse..
                its not gonna blow.. if anything it will take out one of the other little fuses.
                sounds like you are on the right track

Comment

just stick a new baffle in..

Comment

How would you go about putting an inline fuse in? I just took the baffle out and have the pictures and everything ready to help me with this bastard fuse, but do you think I should just solder blob it across? Or should I put a wire jump across like I've been reading some people say?

My dad's the solder guy so he's gonna be taking care of this, but I was wondering about the inline fuse you mentioned too, in case I wanted to try that... Thanks.... And if you write back and I don't understand I'll give a ring

Oh, and if I soder I can check for a continuos circuit from the baffle harness to see if I did it correct right? Or probably leave it for a day then check?

Comment

should be able to check it it right after you finish

Comment

Working...
                      X