95 XP Still Leaking Gas Through Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 XP Still Leaking Gas Through Carb

I took the carbs from my 95 XP to the shop to have them looked at after I couldn't figure out why gas was leaking through the front carb even after the engine was turned off. I tried everything that was suggested from my last post, but it didn't work so I decided to take them to the shop. The guy at the shop said they went through them, adjusted the pop-off pressure, and replaced the check valve that is under the little plate located behind the spring and lever. He also said that they checked the needles and seats, and found them to be in good condition. After I got the carbs back, I was hopeful that the problem was solved, but it wasn't. Gas still leaks through the front carb after the ski is turned off. I took the ski out on Saturday and it ran great, the only draw back was that I had to turn the fuel selector to off and run it out of gas when I wanted to shut it off. When I rebuilt the carbs, before taking them to the shop, I replaced the two round check valves in the front carb (no check valves in the rear carb?). I think I put them in correctly (blue line facing out), but now I'm second guessing. If the round check valves were installed wrong, would that allow gas to leak through the carb? The guy at the shop said no, but he also said I shouldn't have any more problems. When looking into the carb right after the ski is shut off the gas appears to be leaking through the accelerator? The thing sticking out from the wall. Anyways, does everyone still think its the needle and seat or could it be something else? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your help!!!

Re: 95 XP Still Leaking Gas Through Carb

I think that he lied if the check valves are incorrect yes it is going to affect the carbs and the way your ski runs things are put together a certain way for a reason otherwise you could just slap them together and it wouldnt matter now as far as none in the rear carb that is not right you need them installed

Comment

The rear carb has the check valve that is located under the little plate, but there is no place for the two round check valves. I think the round check valves are associated with the fuel pump.
      I was reading other posts to try and glean some info, I would like to add that the ski runs great both low and high speeds, great power/acceleration/top speed! Starts great as long as it is starved for fuel before being shut off. If you just shut it off, the gas floods the engine and makes it a real challenge to restart. The ski is still fun to ride, but you don't want to screw around and fall off or it takes a minute to restart.

Comment

Bill O,

After reading through 18 pages of posts, I found a situation that seems similar to mine. The guy that posted said that his carb had been rebuilt and the shop said that his needles and seats were OK. The shop that looked at mine said the same thing, I assume because the pop off pressure was good??? I'm guessing that the needles and seats in my carbs are from 95. If I replace the needles and seats, will I need to have the pop off pressure reset? Should I replace them myself or take it back to the shop ($85/hr) already spent over $100 and didn't get results. Where do I buy the needles and seats from? Thanks for your response!!!

Comment

Okay I thought you were saying there were none at all. Also I would call the guy and ask him what the results of the pressure tests were when he checked the needle and seat. I would say go buy them at the dealer or an online store then replace them yourself it is not hard. Then check it with a pop off gauge. If you use the same spring you will have the same pop off.

Comment

Replace the needles and seats with new ones and reuse the oem springs. You can easily do this yourself.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks Bill!

Where is a good place to buy the needles and seats from and what size do I need? (1.5 ?)

Comment

1.5 yes and either a dealer or somewhere online like riva or parker.

Comment

Working...
                X