This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 XP engine randomly cuts out

Well unfortunately my first post here is a negative one I'm a newbie to jet skis so please bear with me

I just purchased a 1993 XP about 3 weeks ago from a private owner. Everything is going good with it except one problem that has popped up the last 2 times I've taken it out. If I'm idling or cruising at anything less than roughly 60% throttle, the engine will just cut out on me. If I'm at WOT though I have no problems at all. I'll hit the button and it starts right back up no questions asked, but then it will cut out again within 2 or 3 minutes. Then it might not do it again for a while, or it might do it again immediately. Its a pretty sporadic problem, and I have no idea what it is. It seems to me like it might be electical, like for a moment its losing spark for some reason, because if I hit the gas just as it cuts out it wont do anything, like it has no spark to ignite the mixture. But I could be wrong.

I havent really checked anything on it yet because I dont know where to start, so I was wondering if anyone here has had/heard of the same type of problem, and if anyone might have an idea as to where to start looking. I would rather try fixing it myself before I pay a shop to do it, but will resort to that as a last option if necessary. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me!

Re: 93 XP engine randomly cuts out

Sounds like it's siezing due to lack of lubrication. A bad thing too. I would premix your gas for a tank and see if it continues. search out for premix in the fourums and you'll find a lot of info.

If that stops the siezing than you need to look into your oil pump.

Comment

Make sure the plugs ar BR8ES the B8ES will cause the computer to shut down like that.
      Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

i would check the fuel bowl for water and clean it out.

also i ran BR8ES for 2 years then when i was just scanning through my service book it say to use BR7ES in the 650 motor. someone please correct me if its wrong. i just used the 7 saturday and it ran fine but i havent checked the plugs yet for color.
        1994 Sea-Doo XP

2005 Yamaha Grizzly

Comment

Eek I hope its not seizing:emoticonc!!! I'll definetely look into that though. Instead of premixing would I be able to tell just by checking the oil level on the resevoir dipstick?

I did check the plugs yesterday and they looked like they were kinda oiled over, I think they might have been the same plugs that were used to winterize the jet ski, so I'll change those and see if maybe thats the problem. Since it would not cut out at over 60% throttle then maybe it was just the spark plugs that was causing the problem, not to mention the slightly crappy idle. I'll also check the carb bowls as well, probably wouldnt hurt anyways. Thanks guys!

Comment

I had the same problem with my 93 xp 650cc I put a new battery in it and never had a problem agian.

Matt

Comment

Working...
            X