96 gtx wont rev above 3500rpm, ft cyl hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 gtx wont rev above 3500rpm, ft cyl hot

Front cylinder is hot, back is not. I replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the raves and snipped back the plug wires, still wont rev above 3500. I rebuilt the carbs about 15 months ago and they have about 5 hrs on them. I had stabil in it during winter storage. I had a problem where it would on occasion over the past 3 years not rev past 3500 rpms and I could work the throttle and it would eventually pick up speed and run ok. What should I look for? I noticed that the water valve on the exhaust is loose, I can turn it back and forth by hand. Could this have something to do with it? Thx for any advice...

Re: 96 gtx wont rev above 3500rpm, ft cyl hot

You need to clean the carburetors.
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Thx for the advice. I am going to do a compression check first for my own self satisfaction. I also would like to replace the gray fuel lines while I am in the carbs. No watercraft dealers nearby, can I use auto fuel lines and what size? Thx...

Comment

Nevermind about the fuel line question. I searched and found the answer... Its funny how you search using one term and nothing comes up, use another and you find what you need. I searched for fuel line and could not find the answer, looked for "automotive" and there it was!! thx..

Comment

John, you were on track... I pulled the flame arrestor off and found that the choke cable spring and nut had come off the rear carb and the butterfly was almost completely closed. I found the spring in the ski and located another nut, put it back together and it runs great! I am so happy I do not need to take the carbs off and rebuild... thanks for pointing me in the right direction.Mike...

Comment

Working...
          X