Help, I'm stumped!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, I'm stumped!

I have a 92 SP that is very hard (almost impossible) to start when warm. I have replaced or repaired the following:

-New fuel filters and hoses (including fine mesh filters and pick-up hoses in
    tank)
    -New fuel selector valve
    -New plug wires from coil to plugs
    -New Oddysey (13 volts at rest) battery
    -Rebuilt Mikuni SBN44 carb (settings; LS 1 1/4 turns, HS 1 turn out) twice
    -Replaced 2.5 needle and seat valve in carb
    -Pop-Off pressure 20psi (115 gram spring)
    -Replaced rotary valve cover (SBT) and valve (clearance was 0.015")
    -Compression 140 mag, 145 pto
    -Ski has a Coffman pipe in addition to the SBN44 as the after market
    add-ons by the previous owner.

Ski starts up fine (it has a primer) when cold, and on the trailer. Run it around the lake and it screams, no bog, no hesitation, turn it off and you have a hell of a time restarting it. I've played with throttle settings, carb settings, priming, you name it, no help. Last week I took it to Lake Mojave after replacing the rotary valve cover and valve. No improvement, although it did seem to help in starting if we lifted the rear end while attempting to start. I also played around with hanging over the handle bars while starting and it seemed to help a little bit. Although by now I may be imagining things. Once we did get it started, it ran like a champ (good idle, no dying) until we shut it down then the whole procedure was repeated. I will say one thing, that Odyssey is one heck of a battery. I must have cranked it a hundred times and that thing never let down. Does anybody have any ideas where I should go next?

Re: Help, I'm stumped!

Try turning off your gas before you turn off the engine. Use up some of the fuel in the carb to see if your needle is leaking.
    It should start idling a little faster, then it will die. Turn your valve back on & try to start then.

...it's a really easy test & it will tell you if you have too much fuel in there when you go to start.
    If that works, you'll have to figure out why....but it's a start in the right direction.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion jandrew, I'll give it a try. Anybody else want to take a crack at it?

Comment

Install a 2.0 needle and seat.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bill. In checking the Mikuni manual it looks like changing to a 2.0 N&S (from the current 2.5) with the 115 gram spring should kick up my pop-off from 20 to about 32psi. I assume this is what you are getting after?

Also, and I don't know if this will change your advice, one of the times I had it started at the lake, it died when my 110 lb sister hopped on the back. Thereafter, it would only start with one person on it. As I stated before, it appeared to start easier (relative term) when a couple of us would lift the rear end while the rider attempted to start.

If your advice still stands, I will be more than happy to install the 2.0 N&S and give it another try. Thanks again, Tony

Comment

Sorry Bill, I forgot another thing. While attempting to restart it, I would sometimes hit the primer once or twice, this would get a response for just a second (like it was ready to start) but then it would go right back to just cranking. I tried every throttle position, from none to full that I could think of and it just didn't seem to make any difference. Tony

Comment

Ok here is what is going on. It is too rich when you are trying to start it. When a second passenger gets on, it pushes the exhaust outlet even further underwater, making it even harder to start because backpressure in the exhaust makes a motor even richer. That is why they start easier when on a trailer or if you lift the rear of the ski when starting it.

Use 2.0 and a 95 gram spring if you cannot make the 115's work.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

Thanks again Bill, that's what I'll do. I'll report back on the results. Tony

Comment

Bill, I tried the 2.0 N&S with little improvement. It still takes quite a while to restart when warm. I also tried going in to 3/4 of a turn (in 1/8 increments) on the low speed adjuster with little to no change. Surprisingly I had my best results when I would give it two squirts of primer and hold the throttle just slightly open. This was at the original LS adjuster setting of 1 1/4 turns out. Does this suggest a lean condition instead of rich?

Comment

Yes it does.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM

Comment

Bill, any suggestions on settings to try?

My current setup is a Mikuni SBN 44 carb with Coffman Pipe and K&N FA

LS adjuster 1 1/4 turns out
                      HS adjuster 1 turn out
                      150 main jet
                      117.5 small jet
                      2.0 N&S with 115 gram spring (32 psi pop-off)

Should I take out the LS adjuster in 1/8 increments? If yes, what is the max turns I can go? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Put a 120 or 125 LSJ and a 140 HSJ and go from there.
                        Bill O'Neal <br>
                        WCM

Comment

Thanks again Bill, will do.

Comment

You may need to use a 95 gram spring too.
                            Bill O'Neal <br>
                            WCM

Comment

Working...
                            X