1997 Doo Challenger, 110 Rotax, Engine shuts down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Doo Challenger, 110 Rotax, Engine shuts down

Just purchased a 1997 Seadoo Challenger w/ 110.
    I'm having difficulty with keeping the engine running. It will shut-down after 50 feet, 50 yards or 5 miles. There seems to be no reason. I pull the DESS key off and re-insert and off I go for awhile until it shots off. Sometimes while putting the key back on the post it will not beep twice, so I have to take off or swivel the key around on the landyard until it beeps twice. Sometimes it beeps twice and still does not activate the starter. I worry that I am over-working the starter and will have that as a problem next.
    Any insights would be most appreciated. I am mechanical and electrically minded, just not on this vessel.

I have also noticed that my fuel guage does not work correctly. It has a false read and when I push the starter button with the key off, the needle just goes to empty, even with a full tank.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I'm over 2.5 hours to a service center.

Re: 1997 Doo Challenger, 110 Rotax, Engine shuts down

Take the boat and the key to a dealer - you have a bad lanyard, post or mpem.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I would look for grounding problems first.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Hi Bill,

Are you talking grounding at the post area or starter area? Technical support says to take the boat into the dealer for a key, post or computer problem.

Could you be a little more specific on location? Have you had this problem yourself?

Comment

Check all grounds. No I have never owned that model boat. But, if your boat is acting up like that, it may just be some bad grounding cables/connections. You said you were "handy with mechanical and electrical problems". Try that first, it may save you a long drawn out ordeal at a dealership.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
          X