91 SP, loads up since day one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 SP, loads up since day one

I bought a 1991 Sp new. Took it out the first time and it ran very poorly. I took it back and the dealer told me they were having a lot of problems and that the rotory valve tolerances were off. They keep it a few days and it ran better, but it has never idled right. If you turn the mix screw down, it's better for a while, then you have to turn it up. I've had it to several repair shop and everyone adjusts the idle mixture and claims to have fixed it. The last place rebuilt the carb. Does anyone know about this problem? Thanks Mark

Re: 91 SP, loads up since day one

You bought a brand new 1991 Sea Doo ? Wow! That dealership must really be hurting for sales!
    What does "rebuild" the carbureator mean? Cleaned ? Or replaced all the parts and installed new needles and seats? If it does not state "replaced needles and seats" on your repair order, along with about $24.00 each on your bill.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Ha Ha. I bought it new in '91 and have been fighting with it since. I don't have the work order, it was repaired about two years ago. Do you think the problem is in the carb? When they did the work they replaced the motor mounts and rebuilt the carb - about $600 - ran the same afterwards.

Comment

it has been running this way for 14 years and you havent got it fixed wow! Havent heard this. what are the spark plugs looking like fouled dry oily???? are you on premix are you using oil pump is it properly aligned where are you at on your screw on the carb is it original BN carb or updated carb ?

Comment

You must have had the work done at Bert's ? LOL!

With this little information, I could only guess that it MIGHT be the carb.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

The thing runs great unless I have to do a long idle, like inside a marina. It's also very have to start. If someone who is not familiar with it tries to start it they usually can't. You have to hold the throttle at about 25%. I don't know how to aline the pump? Does this adust the amount of oil delivered? I have only adjusted the low mixture screw, and if I turn it one way or the other and it runs better, it is only temporary and I have to turn it back the other way for a while. It is all stock and the plugs always look normal. I cahnge them at the begining of each season.

Comment

I think you are close enought o Bill you might want to look him up and let him look at it for you. He is in Glendora.

Comment

You have one low speed adjuster on the side of the carbureator ( not the idle adjuster). You need to turn it inward as much as possible ( stock setting is 1.25 to 1.75 out from closed) so that the motor accellerates cleanly without a hesitation. Then you adjust the idle adjuster to set the idle speed.

If your motor still loads up and fouls the sparkplugs ( use BR7ES NGK sparkplugs only), you need to replace the needle valve inside of the carb.

The only other reason the motor would be rich and foul sparkplugs is if the compression were less than 150 psi at sea level, checked with a calibrated compression guage, or you have exhaust fumes leaking into your hull from a loose clamp, or a hole in the muffler or hose or coupler.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

http://www.mikunioz.com/download/pdf...sbn_manual.pdf

I found the above online owner's manual for the SBN carbs that was extremely helpful in desribing how the circuits of the carb work in relation to each other.

Pay close attention to the areas that describe how the needle/seat, fuel diaphram, and low speed screw work together at low speed operation. Just keep in mind that our BN series doesn't have a high speed adjuster or replaceable low speed jet.

To low pop-off or leaking needle seat = rich 0 - 1/4 throttle
                  To high pop-off = lean 0 - 1/4 throttle
                  The low speed adjuster fine tunes 0 - 1/4 throttle when the needle/seat seals and the pop-off is set in the correct range.

Comment

Working...
                  X