96 seadoo xp (EXPLODE!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 seadoo xp (EXPLODE!!!)

I have a 96 xp that was purchased a few months ago, I have had carbs rebuilt, stator replaced,and other small main. stuff. I have had trouble with it idling starts and runs good until you get it in the water. While testing this weekend the ski (cristine) starting running rough and wouldn't idle felt like it was running rich, and finally died while trying to get it to idle. When I couldn't get ski to restart I had been cranking on it for about 30 to 40 secs. when it EXPLODED!!!!!! and I'm not talking a small pop I mean it sounded like a 12 ga. going off under me. It blew me a 275lb man off the back about ten feet, blew the hood off complete with gauges and mirriors and the storage compartment broke the seat and hood latch, fire extinguisher is still MIA, spilt the ski at the seems seperating the hull and popping the bumpers off half way down both sides.
    The gas tank had been replaced per factory recall before I got the ski and I had leaned out the low idle to about a turn out each prior to this. No gas leaks no fire or flames just KA-POW!!!!! Has anyone ever heard of this or seen this before??????

Re: 96 seadoo xp (EXPLODE!!!)

Wow, that is scarry!

Comment

Wow that is really scarry especially since I just bought a 1996 Sea Doo SPX.

Does anyone know if that model was recalled?

THank God you are still here able to post about it. YOu're one lucky man.

Comment

Since I teach safe boating & pwc classes it would sound to me as if the bilge had a fuel vapor accumulation followed by an ignition source. It is amazing how little fuel vapor it takes to equal a stick of dynamite. Even though most PWC's are not equipped with a powered ventilation system for the engine space common sense would dictate that when the engine is not starting normally that a "sniff" check of the bilge be performed. Remember it is literally your a** that is on the line here. You are one luck SOB!

I have always required my family to pull the seat on the first start up and "sniff" the bilge. Anything less that rosy odors means NO GO! This same principle goes for ANY gasoline powered craft PWC or big boat. Nothing beats the nose!

Comment

As stated in every owners manual, ALAWY REMOVE THE SEAT OR RAISE THE HOOD TO VENT THE HULL BEFORE STARTING THE WATERCRAFT. CHECK FOR FUEL LEAKS BEFORE STARTING WATERCRAFT.

Evidently, you devoloped a fuel leak that you did not know about. Sea Doo's or any PWC for that matter cannot "explode" without the presence of combustables like battery fumes or fuel fumes and ignition, like a spark.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
            As stated in every owners manual, ALAWY REMOVE THE SEAT OR RAISE THE HOOD TO VENT THE HULL BEFORE STARTING THE WATERCRAFT. CHECK FOR FUEL LEAKS BEFORE STARTING WATERCRAFT.

Evidently, you devoloped a fuel leak that you did not know about. Sea Doo's or any PWC for that matter cannot "explode" without the presence of combustables like battery fumes or fuel fumes and ignition, like a spark.
            The crazy thing is that I had just rode it around the lake, had cheked and vented prior to launching it, the gas tank was still full and even though it had been moved around inside the watercraft there was no leaks? This is the second jet ski I have owned and I have never had any problems with the first. This thing has a mind of its own, maybe while cranking on it some fumes built up and a spark from somewhere, starter, bad ground or who knows what lit it off. I'm still trying to make sense of it myself

Comment

Originally posted by Dlessing
              Wow that is really scarry especially since I just bought a 1996 Sea Doo SPX.

Does anyone know if that model was recalled?

THank God you are still here able to post about it. YOu're one lucky man.
              I feel like Super Dave Osborn, I have some pics. of the aftermath if anyone wants to see. My back will be killin me for a while, but I keep telling myself it could have been worse

Comment

On the top of the gas tank is a flange for the filler hose. That flange is known to crack at the base where it is fused to the gas tank.

SD has paid out alot of money for personal injury lawsuits over this problem. That is why they offered all registered owners a new free gas tank inspection and replacement gas tank.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM
                <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Pix would be good. Maybe you would let me use them in class? No names please. I am always after stuff like that, not to make an example out of your situation but to drive home the point of safety. My big boat was tied up in the marina next to a smaller boat many years ago when the little boat blew. Fortunately no one was seriously injured but the little boat was toast and my hearing is still not so good as I was standing on the dock when it happened. That was the day I decided to make boating safety a mission, signed up to take a class and now head the public education department a position which I have held for over 19 years. Being safe and having a lot of fun do mix very well.

Comment

Working...
                  X