Charging system problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging system problems

found out that from a while back, while the motor is running it is not charging the battery...figured it was electrical, so while the motor was running i pulled the neg. cable from the battery, the motor shuts off then...im being told its the charging system...what should i do from here?
    ive been thinking of possibly hooking up a second battery on to switch in case im out in the lake with one dead battery could this be a soultion?

Re: Charging system problems

Voltage regulator is bad I would say.

Comment

could it be the stator?

Comment

If it doesnt run and get spark yes, but if it is sparking, the stator is ok.

Comment

so when i pulled the neg. wire from the battery a spark did jump from the wire to the battery this means the stator is good...

Comment

Test to see if there is resistance on the plug of the stator. Not sure which wires, refer to shop manual for that. but if it runs it isnt the stator. I would still think it's the voltage regulator.

Comment

any other ways to check out whats wrong?

Comment

See if there is water in the stator, or rust.

Comment

okay i just took the cover off the front part of the motor...bad news, once i took it off i notice this brown thick gloppy substance...smells like oil...gonna take parts cleaner to clean it all off...could that be the reason? could anything else be damaged?

Comment

Originally posted by gorilla
                    okay i just took the cover off the front part of the motor...bad news, once i took it off i notice this brown thick gloppy substance...smells like oil...gonna take parts cleaner to clean it all off...could that be the reason? could anything else be damaged?
                    It's gone, replace stator.

Comment

what do u mean its gone? is the stator not working?
                      if its not working how much am i looking to pay for the stator?
                      Last edited by gorilla; 08-03-2005, 12:47 AM.

Comment

This is for a '90 SP
                        Open the white box that sits on top of the battery. The voltage regulator is inside it is the square aluminum block filled with epoxy and has a bolt running through the center and 4 wires coming out of the epoxy. There is a red wire goes starter solenoid, black to the bolt in the center, and the 2 yellows go to the stator. The 2 yellow have connectors inside the box connecting them to a yellow and a yellow with black stripe. Using an ohm meter test the 2 going to the stator, I believe my manual listed 20-30 K ohms is the specification.

From the white box the wires come out of the top and into the mag cover. From a sitting on the craft position, there is a metal plate in the right top side of the mag compartment. Behind this plate there is more connectors, a multi wire plug that connects the pickup part of the stator to the cdi box (black box top center of mag compartment) a ground that connects to one of the screws that holds the metal plate on and yellow and yellow w/ black comming from the white box, there is another set of connectors for these two that connect directly to the lighting (charging) coil part of the stator. If you get a 0 ohm reading from the connetors in the white box try getting a reading from here to eliminate the wires coming from the white box as a cause.

Oily sludge has nothing to do with the stator. There is a crank seal behind the stator and your likely source. I would suggest pressure testing the engine to see if you have a seal leak but the rest of the information should get you started as to find out whether it's the stator or regulator that causing the no charging problem.

On a final note, did you acutally test the voltage at the battery while it was running? My negative battery cable fell out the the copper end on the battery on my '89 and it died. I just had to fix a wire on my stator last week and it is showing 13-14 volts at the battery while running. I am thinking that the battery has to be connected to complete the circuit on our crafts and removing the negative with kill the engine regardless of the system charging or not.

Comment

just out of curiosity which wire did u have to replace on/to the stator?

Comment

Yellow w/ black stripe

Hooked the battery up backwards when I first tried to get it running.

Comment

okay il try what u said...im almost to the point of just having two batteries in the waverunner and hooking them up to a switch..hopefully it will work:)

Comment

Working...
                              X