RV Cover Resurfacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Cover Resurfacing

I'm wondering if I resurface the cover face, does anything need to be done to the oil 'weep' slots. I also have some gouges in the case, if resurfacing both, does this change the space for the rotary valve too much? I also read about the alignment tool needed for an engine exchange, if I'm removing and replacing the same engine, is there a way to mark it before removing?
    Thanks, Hoot(95gts)

Re: RV Cover Resurfacing

Yes it will the factory clearance should be .010-.014 between valve and cover without the o-ring. depending on the damage there is a limit to how much you can cut the case whatever you remove from the case remove from where the cover bolts too to maintain the same depth.

Comment

Thanks, what about the oil slots?

Comment

After what I've read on here, I think the gouges on my crankcase at the front intake port are too deep to machine out. If it's possible, I would like to change out the top crankcase half because the bottom looks fine. Is this a viable option. If so, does anyone have a used top half for a 587? What could I reasonably expect to pay for one.
        Thanks, Hoot

Comment

just do a rv cover exchange w/ sbt, comes out bette than brand new for a hundred dollars. i thught it was worth it.

Comment

The case halves are numbered and line bored together so its a matched set you can't mix and match upper and lower halves.

Comment

Can the gouges be filled in by welding and then remachined?

Comment

Yes, that's how we do it. It's the machining that's the hard part, that most shops can not do. THe surface, o-ring groove and mounting lip all need to be taken down euqally to maintain the 0.004" tolerace clearance.
                SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Tech,
                  Are you referring to the rv cover or the crankcase?

Comment

Cover

Comment

How much could be safely removed from the crankcase? My deepest gouge is on the edge of the front intake port. If needed, could this be 'built up' at the area of the scratch with a weld; and then be machined even?

Comment

You can skim 10-15 thou, but again do all the surfaces evenly. Yes it can be built up first. If you are exchanging it, we do it already when needed.

Comment

Working...
                        X