Battery info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery info

99 GTX. I have 2 batteries, both charged. 1 reads 12 volts, the other 13 on the tester. Neither one will even try to start the ski. The ski was last started when I winterized it at the end of last season. Could the battery be reading 12 volts but, still not have enough power to even try to start the ski? The gauges turn on but, nothing else happens.
    ..... because I can !

Re: Battery info

Remove the plugs and try to turn the engien over by hand perhaps you have other problems.

Do you get a buzz or click or anything when you press the start button?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I get the beeps when I connect the key.

how do you turn it over by hand ?
      ..... because I can !

Comment

Answer the question, when you press the start button, do you get any clicks or noises from the starting system ?
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

no noises, nothing.
          ..... because I can !

Comment

First check the big negative cable where it attaches to the engine block to see if it is broken. Install a good battery. A "good battery" has close to or just over 13 V in it, not 12V. Check all fuses on the MPEM in the nose of the boat. Check the fuse in the coil box.

Try jumping the starter solenoid. If the starter motor works replace the solenoid, AKA "starter relay". If it does not work, replace the starter motor.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

I've had batterys that reads 12 volts but it still no good do what SBT said try turning over by hand (to do this) at pto at the rear of motor you'll see the shaft turn that shaft, first remove plugs.

Comment

thanks Bill, I'll look at all of that tonight.
                ..... because I can !

Comment

What exactly, was your winterizing procedure?

Comment

pull & charge the battery, fog the engine, pull plug and fog thru there too, add stabilizer to the fuel, remove seat for storage, this year- change pump oil.
                    cover, then store inside.
                    ..... because I can !

Comment

What part of that did you have the engine running for? What part did you have the hose running? Did you really add stabilizer at the end, not circulating it throught he carbs? How long did you fog each step for? I want to know your EXACT procedures.

Comment

What part of that did you have the engine running for? What part did you have the hose running? Did you really add stabilizer at the end, not circulating it throught he carbs? How long did you fog each step for? I want to know your EXACT procedures.

OK. First I add the stabilizer, then I run the ski on the hose maybe 2-3 minutes. Shut off the water then I fog the carbs and run the ski for about 15-20 seconds. pull the plugs, fog there, replace plugs and turn over the engine 4-5 times, not starting it. Then pull the battery and charge for storage. I store it with the seat off, inside a garage, with the cover on. I changed the jet oil this spring and lubed the grease fitting. I haven't used any anti-freeze for storage.
                        ..... because I can !

Comment

OK - then let's wait and see what happens tonight.

Comment

Probably just a bad battery......

I have two gtx's with gel cells that were new last season in the shop right now. After charging them all day, they read 12.6 and 12.4 volts on the meter. They will not crank the motors in the skis.

I load tested both and got readings of 64 and 60 %.

I installed two new wet cell Yasua's ( oem batteries) and both started right up.

The moral ? No matter how many volts a battery reads on a meter, it does not mean it has enough amperage to start a big Sea Doo motor.

Why do so many people have problems with solenoids? Because they start their skis with less than a fully charged battery. It overheats the electrical system and thank god, sea doo, yamaha and kawasaki put a solenoid in there that burns out before the starter motor does.
                            Bill O'Neal <br>
                            WCM

Comment

It runs. I got a new battery, charged it to full, installed it and nothing happened. Got beeps when I attached the key but, no sounds from the motor/starter. I pulled all the fuses in the front end and they were fine. Checked the ground wire and made sure that everything was connected tight. Re-installed the battery and the ski started right up. I'm glad for that but, still a little concerned what connection may have been lose enough to get no starting power. Plus, I have a new battery that I probably didn't need to but but, better safe that sorry. Thanks everyone for all of your help and suggestions.
                              ..... because I can !

Comment

Working...
                              X