Interesting find.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting find.

A customer brought me a 1998 Sea Doo GTXL that kept blowing the 15 amp fuse in the rear electrical box.

I replaced the fuse and heard a humming noise coming from the magneto cover. We disconnected the battery ( the fuse was hot to the touch) and proceeded to remove the exhaust pipe and mag housing cover.
    The stator had a few dark colored windings on it, showing signs of a direct short. As we removed it we found a small metal clip like piece in the stator winding.

Humm, where did that come from ? After checking for the clip on the ignition pickup and finding it to there and in good shjape, I decided to look further and removed the flywheel and the starter drive. Low and behold, inside of the starter drive is a plate with 3 clips, two of which were still there and the thrid one was missing and looked just like the one we found stuck into the stator.
    We replaced the starter drive, stator assembly and ignition pickup and presto ! The thing ran fine again.

Had I not stopped to inspect that starter drive, it would have come back in a week to get all new parts installed, again. Whew! Good catch!!
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Re: Interesting find.

That's what lots of experience teaches. ( if you pay attention ) I'll bet that step is no where in any repair manual.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
    Just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean people aren't talking about you

Comment

Working...
    X