'97 GTX Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 GTX Problem

I have two SeaDoo 1997 GTX - and they have been great machines for many years. One of them has developed a problem last summer, that contines to bother me. The boat starts and idles great, if I go easy on the throttle with one person on the boat I can get between about half throttle and sometimes 5200 RPM. If I hit the throttle or there is any more load on the boat, or I try and go faster, it just shuts down - completely off. It will re-start without taking off the lanyard, and again idle and run at about half throttle. A local shop has looked at the boat several times, and they have run out of ideas. We have checked the electrical output, replaced the lanyard post, and rebuilt the carbs including the RAVE valves. I'm not to sure I'm convinced about the shop tech's knowledge, but SeaDoo is a dying breed in Utah and so SeaDoo service is hard to come by. The shop tech did mention that the prop was a little bent, but I cannot imagine that would cause the motor to shut down? I do have the shop manuals on CD-Rom and a little mechanical ability - AND ANY HELP OR SUGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Re: '97 GTX Problem

possibly electrical? Mabye a thermal sensor, or bad ignition unit sending wrong info for spark firing?

Comment

Ive had this problem when idling for awhile and trying to pull up a skier. Its probley loading up on idle or the mixture screws are off. FIrst Id check ur mixture screws and see if they are at factory specs and youve compensated for your altitude (considering your in utah). Then i'd clip back your spark plug leads to ensure you have the best spark. Then lastly id check and see if there are water stains on the waterbox. if there are then id definatly pull your water regulator and check it but i would do it anyway. What your looking for is worn parts and anything beat up looking. Then id order the parts from a dealer or WCM.

Brett

Comment

Check the high speed screws on the carbs they need to be set to zero turns (lightly seated)
        John Kubiak
        Powersports Technical Training Professional
        Las Vegas, Nevada
        Sea-Doo Tech 13736
        PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
        PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
        NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
        Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

not getting anough fuel mabey how do plugs look is it running hot

Comment

If this guy is in Utah, he is probably riding at high altitude and getting more than enough fuel. He can adjust his high adjusters to closed, and close down his low speed adjusters until it just accellerates good. But the best thing he can do is repitch the impellor to a lower pitch.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM
            <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
            X