Fuel Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Consumption

First I gotta thank tech support for all the great info. helping me get my new SBT motor up and running it's a?? off. I know I asked a lot of "dumb" questions. First trip out I did the perscribed break in and finished off the day burning a total of 30 gallons gas (sore butt). It seemed to run a little better as the day went on.

Next question, I have two GTI's one 1997 and a 1999 (the one I just rebuilt)and the older machine runs great but gets about 25% worse fuel economy. The 1997 has a white motor with about 157 lbs compression in both cylinders, I have never tried a carb adjustment because it runs so well at all throttle settings. My question is, is there an inherent difference in these two motors fuel consumption characteristics or should they be a little closer in fuel usage. And, if there is not an expected difference, what, if any, improvement suggestions are there.

Re: Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption is more direcly related to how well the pump and impellor are working to propel the watercraft. If the pump parts are not in the best shape, and not sealed to the hull real well or the impellor pitch is too low, gas milage will suffer. Look there for a problem first.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Also check the calibration of the other riders thumb.:) I can tell you from experience even though you are riding together once can use more fuel than the other and cover the same ground. This is certainly the case with my snowmobile group. Exactly the same milage over the same time on the same model machine can yeild up to 30% difference in fuel usage.

Have you ridden the other machine yourself for the day?

Comment

I make these comparisons through many observations with different riders and varying conditions. The older ski simply burns a lot more fuel.

Bill, the wear ring on the older ski is in pretty bad shape. Could simply replacing that ring and not the impeller help that much?

Comment

Sure, unless the impellor does need to be replaced too.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

Final question (for today), how is impeller wear determined. Is it overall diameter, impeller / wear ring clearance, or what?

Comment

Tech articles, inspecting pump.
              SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
              We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
              Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Inspecting it for bent blades is a good start.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

Working...
                X