How do I find out what Model I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find out what Model I have?

I just bought a Sea-Doo (Big One) and a Yamaha Jet-ski. The yamaha has the model on the Jet-ski, But the Sea-Doo has no numbers or model at all. Is there a Place (inside the engine compartment or under the seat that I can get that info. Also they have been winterized and I am not sure how go about un-winterizing them. I am not familar with Jet-ski's cause I have never riden one before. Any help, advice, tips , etc...... Would be greatly appreciated.

Re: How do I find out what Model I have?

As far as the model is, can you explain what colors the ski is? That color is the engine? On the VIN plate on the back of the ski, what are the last two digits?
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Originally posted by dsolie
      As far as the model is, can you explain what colors the ski is? That color is the engine? On the VIN plate on the back of the ski, what are the last two digits?
      When you say Color. Do you mean the actuall color on the outside? If so, it is green and white.

Comment

It is a 1996 or 1997 GTX, with a 787 engine.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
          It is a 1996 or 1997 GTX, with a 787 engine.
          Ya I think it is a 1997 or 98. How can I get a Manual or spec sheet or something of that nature. I bought these from a private owner that hasn't ridin them four 2 seasons. I haven't actually started them at all. Is it safe to start them out of water? also what is the best brand of oil and spark plugs. I also heard that you can pull tubes, skiers, and wakeboarders onw a sea doo?

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP IN ADVANCE.

Comment

Look at the back of the seadoo jetski-there should be a serial number. That serial number will tell you what year the jetski was manufactured (last 2 digits). Example, my XP was made in 1995 and the serial label reads XXXXXXXXXXXX95. Yours will probably be similar.

After you know what year it was made that makes things a bit easier. Now go to www.sea-doo.net and go to the specs section. Look at the models from your year and you should be able to find out when it was made, specs, etc.

Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie Seadoo
              Look at the back of the seadoo jetski-there should be a serial number. That serial number will tell you what year the jetski was manufactured (last 2 digits). Example, my XP was made in 1995 and the serial label reads XXXXXXXXXXXX95. Yours will probably be similar.

After you know what year it was made that makes things a bit easier. Now go to www.sea-doo.net and go to the specs section. Look at the models from your year and you should be able to find out when it was made, specs, etc.

Have fun.
              Thanks alot. This really helps me out. You will be seeing more of my posts I guarentee that. lol.

Comment

I looked on the SN and the last 2 digits are 97 so it is a 1997 It is also a bombardier. I couldn't find if it was a GTX or the other.

Comment

The only model made in 1997 that was green and white is the 3 seater GTX.
                  It has a 787 engiine in it.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM
                  <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Bombardier is the manufacturer of Sea-Doo, it is not a SPECIAL MODEL
                    John Kubiak
                    Powersports Technical Training Professional
                    Las Vegas, Nevada
                    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
                    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
                    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
                    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
                    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
                      The only model made in 1997 that was green and white is the 3 seater GTX.
                      It has a 787 engiine in it.
                      Cool Thanx Guys. This really helped me Now I can go and get the specs. Two more questions- Can I start the skies up outta water? And how do I un-winterize this model. It hasn't been ran for about a year and a half?

Comment

You can run the ski's out of water, BUT only for a maximum of about 15-20 seconds. The engine is water cooled and without it will overheat....15-20 seconds is fine though....it'll just get up to operating temp. A good practice is to start your jetski for 20 seconds before putting it in water to warm the engine up and prevent excessive starter motor wear 'n' tear-the starter is put under a lot of pressure when it cranks the engine whilst the impeller is in water. Then, when you've finished riding, start it up again out of the water to blow out any water inside the engine/exhaust system.

If you have connected a hose to the engine to a garden hose, then the ski's can be flushed for up to five minutes. DON'T flush for more that 5 minutes beacuse your driveshaft bearing(s) won't get cooled when the ski is out of the water. If you run the ski's for too long you'll sieze a bearing! Note that the driveshaft has a grease nipple. This grease creates a barrier for water and lubes the bearing. I re-grease my driveshaft every 5-10 house. If you don't do that you'll run into probs.

As for un winterising.....you may need to get advice from a professional on this one. I have a 95 XP and do the following:

1: Remove spark plugs, clean.
                        2: Make sure fuel in tank is fresh if it has been sitting for ages.
                        3: Make sure oil injection resevoir is full of oil. If it's a premix then mix correct ratio of fuel/oil.
                        4: Pour 1oz of oil into each cylinder (and oil in there has prob sunk to the bottom of the crank case and is no longer lubing the pistons/cylinders). Then turn the engine via the power take off (PTO) flywheel by hand (with the lanyard removed for safety!!)
                        5: Make sure battery is fully charged.
                        6: Make sure driveshaft is greased
                        7: Your jet pump should be have the oil changed at the beginning of the season.
                        8: With spark plugs removed still, crank engine by briefly toughing the starter button. This will lube up the inside of your engine.
                        9: Clean of anything that comes out of the spark plug holes and reinstall spark plugs.
                        10: Make sure fuel selector valve is set to on.
                        11: Start jetski as per normal.

Two extra things:
                        -Did you know that you shouldn't turn the water on for about 10 secs after starting the jetski and make sure you turn the water off 10 secs before you stop the jetski. Otherwise you may get water in you cylinders (it comes back the wrong way through the exhaust system)
                        -This list may be missing a few things specific to your model.....can anyone else help with this??

Don't throttle it when it gets started after a long break. Just let it idle and get itself lubed properly (ie: Go easy). Also warm up for a few minutes before you ride. It'll keep your engine in good shapeHope they sound awsome:emoticont

Comment

Ozzie- Thanks for all the insight. I will do this today(Hopefully if time allows). Do you know where I can find a layout of my jet ski. Like a sheet that shows where all the components are located and what they are called.

Comment

www.hlsm.com
                            SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
                            We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
                            Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks alot

Comment

Working...
                              X