Tuning question with new pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning question with new pipe

As some may have read in an earlier post, i purchased a new exhaust for my 93 XP off ebay. It is a used PSI Pipe brand. I installed it about a week ago, and took the ski out this past weekend. I backed the lows out a little, and backed the highs out a little more. At first it good, but wouldnt rev past about 4000 RPM'S. With all the reading ive done on here, i determined i had it too rich. I turned the highs in a little more, and it got up to about ~5100 RPM's. So after a litlle more adjusting, it preatty much goes to where it used too run around 6800 RPM's. The problem is, it doesnt seem to be any faster. I guess i was expecting a little more performance out of it. I did run it around for abot 5 min at WOT, kill it and pull the plugs to see how they looked. These were not new plugs, but they seemed to have a nice brown color to them, so i assume im not going lean.

Should i have done anything else?
    should i feel a performance increase?

Or do i need to do something else to get better results?

Also, how can i achieve more RPMS?

Re: Tuning question with new pipe

Oh yeah

93 XP 657 only mod is the pipe so far.

thanks

Comment

Did the pipe alone improve any part of the RPM range? Better midrange acceleration? anything? If you ride sled you might be familiar with pipes and clutch kits, etc. When you change something from stock you have to know what you want to attain first.

Comment

Did you install the rev limiter? Without it, it cannot turn more rpm than a stock pipe and what makes a boat faster is turning the impellor faster.

I did a pipe shootout test for Splash magizine in 1994. All of the major PWC pipe manufactors were represented at the test.

We took a stock 1994 SP single carb Sea Doo and each manufactor got to modify it within the boundries set forth before the test. The rules for mods were limited to , pipe, rotary valve, rev limiter, impellor and air filter and rejetting.

I won the shootout at 47.something mph using the PSI 587 pipe kit. I used a Solas 14x19 pitch impellor, rejetted carbs with a K&N filter and a 147 degree RV.
        It took 1.5 hours to build the ski from scratch, two guys doing the work.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
          Did you install the rev limiter? Without it, it cannot turn more rpm than a stock pipe and what makes a boat faster is turning the impellor faster.
          What do you mean rev limiter? I didnt recieve one with the pipe, if thats what you mean. Where could one get his hands on one??? Also i have an impeller waiting to be installed.

Comment

You pick up the phone and order one from Me ( or your favorite aftermarket parts dealer) ! 626 914 9509
            Those pipe kits came with an aftermarket rev limiter so the engine can turn faster and make the boat go faster.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

how much for the rev limiter? PM if you cant post prices on here!

Comment

I have a good used rev limiter for $50.00
                Call 626 914 9509 to order it.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

Working...
                X