Intake Grate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Grate

I have just picked up a sea doo 97 GS and after bringing it home and looking it over one more time I notice the intake grate is missing and only one sheared bolt is left in place. The owner claims he didn't know it was missing. Looking around everything is in good shape but what damage could have been caused by using it without the grate. It has only been run 3 times in salt water and is otherwise in great shape. Thanks.

Re: Intake Grate

None, unless the broken grate went through the pump.

Sometimes the brass inserts will pull out of the ride shoe and you won't have a threaded hole(s) to put the bolts into to hold the rear of a new grate onto the hull. In that case, you must replace the shoe.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

The grate is there to prevent large debris from entering the pump area. Check the impeller, stator veins and wear ring for gouges, bad nicks, bends etc.

You don't have to run with an intake grate, but you better be VERY cautious of what is below you in the water.
      Dan Solie -
      04 RXP (the "Instigator")
      94 xp (freestyle mods)
      95 xp (faster than the 94)
      JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Thanks for the info. One more question, I called the sea doo dealer to order the grate and hardware, he said I needed 6 hex nuts and washers, I have looked over the hull and can only see where it is using two nuts, called the original owner and he said 2 nuts also. Can anyone help me with a part number so I can get the right grate.

Thanks,
        P.S The seller is being real cool and paying for the grate.

Comment

That dealer thinks you are buying a ride plate. And they are not nuts, they are bolts.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Last year a friend rode his XP at least half the season with no grate (the inserts had pulled out and left his grate somewhere at the bottom of the lake). He didn't want to take the time to change the shoe during the season. Later in the year, we ordered a new shoe and put it on along with a new grate. It's kind of a pain, but it's not that bad.

Comment

Yep, dealer called me back, he thought ride plate. Grate is ordered along with bolts not nuts, forgive me:emoticonb .

Comment

Working...
              X