'93 sea doo ext can't remove rear housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '93 sea doo ext can't remove rear housing

can't remove rear impeller housing from ski. need to remove drive shaft to replaced seals and needle bearings. what is correct procedure

Re: '93 sea doo ext can't remove rear housing

It just pulls straight out, but it can be extremely difficult on those older skis.
    You need to make a pump puller from a piece of 2x4 with holes that match the nozzel bolt holes. Then use all thread and nuts as a pulling device to pull it out.
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

what does the 2x4 rest against, the drive shaft

Comment

No, the back of the hull. I thought you were trying to pull the pump?
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

What i am trying to remove is the housing were the end of the driveshaft is at the rear, where the impeller is and the wear ring or what ever it is called. there is a little cone that has to be removed. the housing has 4 bolts that secure it to the hull at the back. this is all new to me.

Comment

That is the impellor housing assembly. It is commonly reffered to as the "pump".

Envision this while looking at the back of the ski:

You see the pump with the venturi and steering nozzels removed.

You see 4 bolt holes where the nozzels attached to the pump.

You drill two holes in the 2x4 that match the two top holes for the nozzel. ( use the nozzel for a bolt pattern to drill on the 2x4 )

You put two pieces of 8mm allthread into the two top nozzel bolt holes.

You place the 2x4 onto the two pieces of allthread and slip it down to where the 2x4 touches the rear of the hull (transom).

Using washers and nuts, tighten the two nuts on the allthread until the pump housing releases itself from the pump support plate in the hull.

Do not forget to disconnect the three hoses inside of the hull that connect to the water fittings on the pump.
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

there must be something holding shaft and housing. any snaprings or clips maybe. i tried the 2x4 method. housing would not budge

Comment

You are not trying hard enough., as there is nothing else holding the pump in the boat except silicone and possibly corrosion between the 4 studs and the bolt holes in the housing. They can be very stubborn to remove from these older Sea Doo's. The driveshaft is splined on both ends and just plugs into both the pto and the impellor. There are no clips or fastners holding it in either the pto or the impellor.
                Bill O'Neal <br>
                WCM

Comment

are you sure everythign up front is loosened and removed? make sure of that. also, if you can get it to at least wiggle a little, u're getting somewhere. what i do is put some pressure downward while pulling, this way ti pulls apart teh silicone on teh 3 water fittings.

Comment

Radio,
                    His aluminum pump housing is quite different from your easy to remove plastic housing.

Corrosion builds between the bolt holes in the housing and the 4 studs sticking out of the hull. Removing them can be a real pain.
                    An approach I use is to unwind the 4 studs from the hull by using the double nutted method. Once the 4 studs are no longer there, the pump housing is easy to remove.
                    Bill O'Neal <br>
                    WCM

Comment

What Needs To Be Undone Upfront?

Comment

2 bilge lines, 1 water line.
                        Bill O'Neal <br>
                        WCM

Comment

Hi,

I also had a hard time removing the impellor.
                          I used a small chain to loop inside of the impellor housing.
                          Then get another chain that will connect between your car or truck to
                          the chain on impellor. Secure the jet ski.Then yank it

Note: you can not go slow, It must be done quick.

Comment

Do you call that the "redneck skier" method of pump removal? Sounds like it would damage the pump :(

Comment

Watching a jetski mechanic do that exact same thing to my 1988 Sea Doo is EXACTLY what brought me to becoming a Sea Doo mechanic myself. I figured that if they were that far off the curve, I could do better working on my stuff myself. After one season, I had over 100 other Sea Doo owners looking for a mechanic that did things right. After two seasons, that number of customers grew to over 300 Sea Doo owners.

I do not advocate tying your Sea Doo to a tree and pulling the pump with a pickup truck. Not when it takes 10 minutes to make a pump puller......
                              Bill O'Neal <br>
                              WCM

Comment

Working...
                              X