Towing cause engine flood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing cause engine flood?

I towed my seadoo xpl for about 1/2 mile at 1 to 2 mph and I noticed water in one of the cyclinders a few weeks later. could this be caused by towing. the other cyclinder is dry. Does this make sense or did the water come from somewhere else. If so whay did i get water in one cyclinder only?

Re: Towing cause engine flood?

Jet pumps do not know if the engine is running or not.....If conditions were right, it is possible to push water through the cooling system into the exhaust, and eventually into the engine. 1 to 2 MPH usually will not cause this, it normally takes 10-15 MPH to cause this. I have witnessed folks towing skis too fast for long periods of time, with the ski's running so low in the water that the handlebars were the only part of the ski that was visible. This is why there is a requiremnet in the Sea-Doo owner's manual to pinch off the cooling water supply hose from the jet pump prior to towing the ski.
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Because only one exhaust port was open to the exhaust pipe, which once filled with water, drained into that one clyinder. The other port is covered by the piston in that clyinder, which blocked off most of the water from entering that side of the motor. There probably was a little water in the other side of the motor too, but it was laying in the bottom of the case.

When towing, water enters the pump through the intake grate and is compressed as it travels through the venturi nozzel. Compressing water raises the water pressure in the nozzel. The water is forced under pressure throughout the engine and exhaust system, much the same as though the engine were running with the boat in the water. But, without the engine actually running when towing, there is no explusion of exhaust gases through the exhaust pipe to push the water that goes inside of the pipe to keep the pipe cool out of the exhaust fitting in the rear of the hull. The water builds up and backs up inside of the exhaust pipe and enters the motor through the open exhaust port in the clyinder, flooding the motor.

That is why you pinch off the incoming waterline when you tow a pwc.

My question to you is why were you towing it ? Was it because you had a water flooded engine that you couldn't get started? Maybe the water was in the clyinder BEFORE you towed it?
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I towed it to the nearest boat ramp to take it the tech. The motor would not turn over because the battery was about dead. At that time I thought it was a carb or fuel problem and actually the rectrifier / regulator went bad but at the time I didnt know it because when I took the xpl to thr tech the first time he assurred me nothing was draining that battery. The last time I took it to him told me that rectrifier / regulator was draining the battery.

Comment

You do know that when an engine is water flooded, it won't turn over, and to most people, they think the battery is too low to crank the engine. Many customers come here asking for a new battery, thinking theirs is bad, only to find out that they have a flooded motor ( and sometimes they need a battery too, or a rectifier or starter relay replaced).
          That is why I asked.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
          X