'97 GTX Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 GTX Problems

We bought a '97 GTX used in July. It was running funny when we bought it (and by funny I mean it seemed to hesitate when you tried to accelerate and would then kick in), but we thought it was due to a batch of bad oil.

About 2 weeks after we bought the thing I had it out on the lake and it just stopped dead. Wouldn't restart, nothing. Had a boat come along to tow me in.

I got on here and did a little research and decided to pull the carbs. I did and the internal filters were clogged, so I did a rebuild. Replaced the carbs and now when I throttle out of water it well rev to about 3,000 RPMs and cut out if you take your hand off of the throttle. It also smokes A LOT!

In the water it will go to about 1,500 RPM and won't throttle at all. can someone please tell me what is wrong and if possible how to fix it. I am more than happy to provide more details if necessary.

Re: '97 GTX Problems

What do the plugs look like?

What was the pop off?

Sounds like the something is wrong with the carbs. I would pull them again and check the needles and seats, also make sure the lever is flush with the carb body and the stub on the diaphragm is not pressing on the lever. Some after maket ones are to big.

Comment

First thing to do is a compression test, needs to be aprox- 150 psi in each cyl.

Comment

Riding a ski with clogged up carbs and having it stop dead in the water usually means you siezed the piston(s).
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
        X