GTX DI 2001 - Oil Injection Cable Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX DI 2001 - Oil Injection Cable Broken

I got the dreaded 'maint' message with the 2 second beeps. Later this became. Then this changed to "Low 12V". Luckily this was in the harbor, so I got seadoo out of the water immediately. I have abrand nbew battery, put in new plugs, but then I discovered that the cable leading from the injectors to the oil pump is broken at the oil pump end. I have a shop manual, but I a not sure if I want to tackle the replacement of this cable myself. There is synchronization involved, do I have to perform the TPS adjustment or is it enough just to align the lines on the pump lever?

Many thanks for any input...

Re: GTX DI 2001 - Oil Injection Cable Broken

Yes, the TPS needs to be adjusted too if you have the type of throttle cable that splits off into two parts, controlling the throttle plate and the oil injection pump. (Some models have the oil cable seperate from the throttle cable, in which case you only need to replace the oil cable).
    Bill O'Neal <br>
    WCM
    <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks Bill, my model has a single throttle cable that goes from the handlebars to the throttle body where it ends. The separate injection cable starts at the throttle body and terminates at the oil pump. The motion of the throttle cable is transferred to the injection cable but the two are separate parts. The real question is: I think I can replace the injection cable without touching the throttle cable settings. The adjustment is done at the oil pump end. Does this mean that I do not need to perform the TPS adjustment as these settings have not been altered in any way. Essentially I would only need to make sure that on the injection cable, the "closed" position matches the "closed" position of the throttle cable.

I may be making a big deal out of this, but the manual has dire warning about destroying the engine with improper settings.

Thanks, Bill

Comment

Yes you only need to replace the oil injection cable and then you adjust that cable so that the two alignment marks on the oil pump are aligned properly. It is not a big deal to do this. Leave the TPS and throttle cable alone. If you do not mess with it, it will be fine.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM

Comment

Thanks, Bill, you confirmed what I thought. Your input, as always, is invaluable and much appreciated.

Comment

BTW, How do you break an oil injection cable? Is something wrong with the oil pump?
            Bill O'Neal <br>
            WCM

Comment

No, I think it was caused by a salt deposit on the cable mounting at the oil pump (on that half moon pulley). The cable was eroded right at the grommet (?) end. I rinse and clean everything, every time after I ride in the ocean (Dana Point), but I guess I missed this particular spot. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X