Adjusting an OHM meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting an OHM meter?

I was wondering if someone could help me out quickly.
    I have your standard ohms meter with an analog guage (Not digital).

It seems to work and all, but I am wondering where it should be adjusted too.

It has a knob that seems to adjust the needle when it is making a contact. If I touch the black and red together the needle goes way up. The adjuster allows it to go from about half way up, to all the way up. So my question is, should I be adjusting it to the middle of the guage or a specific number? or simply to the top?

Keep in mind it drops to zero as expected but if I touch them together I can turn a knob to make it go from about half to about all the way up.

Also, when testing, is there a standard setting to keep it on, or must I change it based on the item/wire I am testing?

Anyone know?

Re: Adjusting an OHM meter?

When touching the leads together, adjust the needle to read 0. It should be all the way at the end of the scale (all the way to the right). When you say drops to zero, it's called infinity(symbol looks like a sideways 8).

Does you meter have different resistance settings?

Comment

When I turn the adjustment it seems to go almost all the way up. It goes to about .5 to 1, but not all the way to the zero. The scale seems to have that sideways 8 on the left hand side of the scale when it is completely dropped, or not in contact. It then goes up the scale and ends in 0. It doesn't seem to reach the top of the scale (0) when I touch them. Must it go all the way up?

Yes, it seems to have different settings including RX100, RX10, RX1. Do I want to use the RX100?

Comment

When touching the leads together, the needle needs to be on 0. Adjust it until the needle is all the way to the right (on 0)

When measuring, multiply the number you read on the scale by whatever setting you have the meter at. eg. RX10 means times 10. I don't know what your measuring, so I don't know what setting it should be on. If your looking for a short circuit, you should use X1 setting. High resistance use X100, low resistance use X1

Comment

Hey Chris,
          Thanks for the insight! That definitely put everything in its place and I now understand.

The only thing is that I realize the guage can't adjust to go all the way to the very top (0) It seems to only go about half way or so. I wish I still had the directions to this.

PS- If I am on RX1 when touching it only goes 20, RX 10 goes to about 7, and RX 100 goes to about 5. Does that sound odd?

Much appreciated!

Comment

Sounds like a bad ohm meter. You can try replacing the internal battery. I would suggest getting a new digital OHM meter. there are some good cheap one for under $20

Comment

Yes it sounds like a low battery in it, if it doesn't go to 0. Are you holding the leads together on X1 setting and then trying to adjust it either way to 0?

Comment

A new battery did the trick! Now it adjusts all the way and allows me to set it to zero. I would have never thought of that so thanks!!!!:)

Quick question, exactly what is the definition and meaning of infinity?(Sideways 8) Does this simply mean a switch/relay/Etc allows the current to run freely through? Just wondering since I've seen manuals state that certain tests should read so.

Thanks again!

Comment

Infinity is just like an open circuit. No current flow (like when you're NOT holding the leads together)

Comment

Thanks again for the info and knowledge.

I would like to ask, exactly how do I go about the testing and reading from the manual to the guage? For instance, when testing the spark plug ignition coil/wires it says its resistance should read 9-15k ohms.

So when I connect it, the guage should be within this range where infinite is to the left and 0 is to the very right? Also, how would I go about testing MPEM areas? Do you test 1 wire at a time or is it always two? If just one, do you simply ground the black and touch the red?

Just trying to learn the lingo and the process. Sorry if I am being super beginner.:emoticont

Comment

A switch will have around 0 (closed) or infinite (open) resistance. You need to have all voltage off when checking resistance-unhook battery. Relays work like a switch, a small (low current) circuit will close contacts to a circuit that draws a higher amount of current.

Comment

I'm not sure what you're trying to test. I would bother to test anything on the MPEM. To check resistance, you need to put one lead on one end, the other lead on the other end of what ever your testing.

Comment

My 1996 GSX lost spark out of nowhere and I wanted to poke around a little bit. I am bringing it in to my local dealer over the weekend but wanted to see if I can possibly find a problem.

The ski was running like a champ and then just died out. Started a few times on the trailer but now nothing. Spark went from weak to none at all. Most on the boards said it is probably something under the Mag housing like the trigger or so. I don't know if I am gonna have the time to rip into it but I figured I could check a few simple things before bringing it.

Someone told me they checked around and thought it was the CDI since they thought it was putting out an odd output voltage. Does that sound like a possibility? If so I may want to do a quick swap from a 96 Xp with the same motor. Think that may be it? Most say CDI's don't usually go bad but I guess there is always the chance.

Thanks again

Comment

I'd say you may be wasting time trying to test things with a meter. It may be a lot easier to pull off the housing cover and look for a problem in there. 96 models are known to have the pickup broken off inside there. Have you done searches on here for loss of spark? Bill O. has answered this quite a bit lately. The easiest thing to check is the battery voltage while cranking it over. Needs at least 12.5V

Comment

Hey Chris,
                              Yes, I have read and posted about the loss of spark. Bill seems like a true genious when it comes to ski's. Very glad to have him as a resource on SBT.

I am a little iffy about taking the ski apart right now due to my time constraints. My local dealer is only about 15 minutes away so I may just drop it off to them to take a look at it.

This is my first seadoo and I am not too familiar with the mechanics or working on engines overall. So my confidence is not as high as it could be. I guess I will either bring it to the dealer, or get the courage built up to rip it apart myself :)

Comment

Working...
                              X