Towing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing?

I am planning to use a recently repaired ski for the first time this weekend. I am worried that it might fail and have to be towed. I have heard that water could be sucked or pushed into the motor when in tow. Is this true? and how can it be prevented if true?

Also this ski has scoop type intake grate. Is this stock on a 91 XP? (my wave runners intake grate is flush with the bottom). What is the advantage and/or disadvantage of the scoop grate vs. flush grate?

Re: Towing?

You can clamp off the cooling water inlet line when towing or just stay below 15 mph (I think that is the recommended max tow speed) while in tow.

Comment

Don't tow over 10 MPH and you are good as for intakes they add speed but usually minimal 1 to 3 mph

Comment

tow under 5 mph. 5 mph max. i learned the hard way.

my friend had to get towed on my ski and said he was being towed pretty fast, when he said that, the firs thing i checked for was my engine, and sure neough.... flooded. stay under 5 mph, or clamp the inlet cooling line and u can tow as fast as a rocket. weeeeeeee. lol.

Comment

connecting two cooling hoses????

my '96 xp 800 motor was flooded once, luckyly i got it out and ran it WOT afterwards.. so far so good. however, i plan to have it towed again soon, since there will be a race about 40 miles away from where i park.

my question : there are two cooling hoses from jetpump to the head, is it possible to connect them, sort of bypassing it? i figured if none hoses are connected to the heads, there is no way water can enter. am i right? and the reason to connet the hoses, so the water will go in and out and not flooding the hull...

does it work that way?

thanks.

Comment

The water inlet tees off and feeds the exhaust muffler. If you connect the hoses before that tee, theoretically, you are correct, you will have bypassed the system.

Not to be a smart-a here but if you're willing to go through the trouble of connecting the hoses to make the 'bypass'...why not just make it real easy and take a pair of vise grips and clamp off the water inlet line...done deal, no fancy anything.

Comment

can't u just buy one of those hose pinchers?

Comment

you can also get real fancy and plumb in a ball valve to the inlet line. When you are towing, simply turn it off. More initial work but could be worth it depending on how much you anticipate towing.

Comment

now thats a good idea right there. but the weight and all. you woudl have to get a nice small valve for that.

Comment

absolutely... vise grip is the way to go... i was just trying to exercise the other option just in case there is no vise grip available... such in a remote island where only screwdrivers are plenty....

thanks guys... love this forum.. without it, i would've dumped the xp long time ago...

Comment

Working...
                    X