94 spx Will Not Start In Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 spx Will Not Start In Water

Please Help!!!! :emoticonb I just bought A 94 spx and when runnig the motor on land It starts fine but the idle fluctuates slightly (1000 -2000 rpms).Also when I first put the Ski in the water It starts fine and runs great, then after I stop riding and let it sit for 10 minutes It will crank but not start.Then if somebody picks up the back of the Ski and gets the Nozzle out of the water and lightly taps the Thottle It will start up and run great at low and high throttle.
    Also if I keep trying to crank the motor for about a minute or two you will hear the overheat buzzer then when you get it running and drive off the buzzer shuts off.
    I checked compression and found 150 psi in both cylinders.:emoticont What else could I check. :) Please Help!!!!!!!!!!:)

Re: 94 spx Will Not Start In Water

I don't claim to be any expert but I did have a similar problem with a 96XP. The carbs had not been rebuilt in almost 10 years. Bought the rebuild kits and it made a difference. I should note that I bought the rebuild kits with new needles. I have no idea what the specific problem was but with the rebuilt carbs..it certainly eliminated the similar problem you have.

Tom

Comment

Check the in line fuel filter. I assume you have changed the plugs. Definately clean the carbs. I believe your ski should idle at 3000 rpm's out of water.

Comment

Yeah, this seems to happen to a lot of people (me included;) ). I rebuilt my carbs about a month ago....i think that the main problem with my carbs was my needle and seat. I basically bought rebuild kits (which included iternal fuel filters), rebuilt both of the carbs and replaced the NEEDLE ONLY in the needle and seat assembly (all the neddles are the same, so i bought a 1.5 needle and seat assembly and used the needle in my 1.2 seat (original part). I was able to do this as my seat's were fine). Since rebuilding, i haven't had and problems starting in the water-I was told that my needle and seats were probably leaking as my 95XP (which has a 720 engine) shakes a lot, thus damaging the needle over time due to vibration. So in summary, do your rebuild with new gaskets and also replace your needle in your needle and seat assembly (if your seat is not damaged). Hope it works out for ya:emoticont

Comment

Thanks for the help.:emoticont Im going to rebuild the Carbs. and chage the fuel lines and filter.I found the Carb. rebuild kit on this site but it does not come with new needles or seats, is that true, and if so does anyone know a good place to get all those items. :(

Comment

You are correct the SBT rebuild kit does not contain needle and seats. I believe Bill with Watercraft Magic can help you out.

Comment

rebuild teh carbs with new needle/seats (found at local sea-doo dealer), get a pop off tester, check the fuel selector valve, and check the in line fuel filter. that shoudl do it for you. chaninging the fuel lines would be an even better choice.

Comment

i had my carbs rebuilt

Comment

Working...
                X