Wear rings....set screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wear rings....set screws

Thought i'd share some insight into the wear rings that are set up with set screws. I've seen this a couple of times on the later models. The set screws are there (4 of them) to keep the wear ring from moving around or slipping. The tricky part is you have to drill them out to accomadate the screws. If yu drill too deep you go through the wear ring and make it unusable. if you don't drill deep enough or large enough the ring gets distorted and binds on the blades. I set up a drill bit so it would onlyh stick out of the chuck the depth of the screw and it worked well enough. Anyone else with tricks or comments is appreciated. :emoticoni Rich

Re: Wear rings....set screws

(At the risk of this ending up on some schmuck's message board which he trolls to sell parts and HYPE his incompetence, here is what I did.)

take the old screws out and while the wear ring is still in the housing, drop a toothpick or similar device in the hole until it bottoms out. Mark the depth with pen (about 9 mm). Put your new wear ring in, drill a little then measure progress with the toothpick, repeat until you are at the right depth. You can get more elaborate with a drill press and depth stop but this is the easiest way.

Comment

I put some paint on a drill bit at the right depth. Watch the ring, if the bit is too small or the hole too shallow the screw pushes the ring in and the impeller can be difficult to install and/or will cut the ring in the 2 spots the screws are.

Comment

Two words: Drill Stop Here's an example: http://www.staffordmfg.com/pages/drillstop.htm
        John Kubiak
        Powersports Technical Training Professional
        Las Vegas, Nevada
        Sea-Doo Tech 13736
        PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
        PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
        NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
        Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
        X