Winterizing a Seadoo in Seattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing a Seadoo in Seattle?

I live in Seattle and have two 97 Seadoo GTX's. I guy at work said he always just fogged his and removed the batteries and never hade any problems. Mine are not in a garage they are just out back with the covers on them. I have been thinking about picking up one of the carport tents (10x20) to place over it just so the dew doesn't come down on them. I also thought about placing a very low watt light bulb in each one just to keep the heat. Any ideas on what works well or does it pay to just take them to the dealer and let them do it?????

Re: Winterizing a Seadoo in Seattle?

James, do like the rest of us in WA and ride all winter too! lol. Actually, we do ride all year round. The cold weather makes the ski's run soooo much better.

If you are insitsant on winterizing, here in WA with our infrequesnt freezes, a fog and battery charge would be good. I would also take the extra time to spray the entine engine compartment down with a good lubricant (WD-40, Bombardier Lube, etc). Also, change out the pump oil and grease all of your zerk fittings. Top off your tank and add a fuel stabilizer, or drain the tank completely. Also, if you keep the covers on all winter, make sure you crack the seats a little to allow proper airflow.

A carport/tent idea is a great one because it will allow the ski to fully dry out. It will also keep our occasional snow and ice storm from super freezing your ski.

If you feel at all uncomfortable winterizing it, take it to a dealer. Or, if you want, bring it to me In olympia. I will show you how to do it, for free. You just need to buy the parts (pump oil, fogging oil etc). There is no greater satisfaction then to do something yourself.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Re: Winterizing a Seadoo in Seattle?

Originally posted by fallcityjames
      I also thought about placing a very low watt light bulb in each one just to keep the heat.
      DON"T do the light bulb thing!!!! While it sounds like a good idea, remember that the pwc is like a bucket. Gasoline vapors are heavier than air, which means they will collect in the bilge and "fill upward", just as if you were filling the boat with water. If you place a light bulb in the what can become a vapor cloud, any sparking on the light socket could ignite the vapors, and good-bye skis, tent, garage, house (if attached) etc.

When I have warmed my ski (temp measure only until winterized), I use a tarp with doesn't seal quite at the ground, and place a small electric ceramic space heater under the boat, below the engine area. Heat rises and warms the hull which will transfer slowly to the inside.

Comment

Working...
      X