98 gtx limmited Stator/Alteranator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 gtx limmited Stator/Alteranator

A fuse blew on my 98 sea doo gtx limmited, when i replaced it, it blew as soon as it made contact with the fusebox. I was told my stator/alternator needed to be replaced. How do I go about replacing the Stator?

Re: 98 gtx limmited Stator/Alteranator

You will have to suppert the engine and remove the front engine munt and the front engine cover.
    Providing mobile JetSki service to the Charlotte / Lake Wylie area.

Comment

Re: 98 gtx limited Stator/Alteranator

Make sure you check and clean all your grounds. Even run an extra ground from your stator to battery. But most important to check all grounds.

Comment

Re: 98 gtx limmited Stator/Alteranator

Although bad grounds are a problem and should be checked and cleaned, they do not cause blown fuses.

You probably are headed in the right direction. Remove the exhaust pipe and then the front motor mount. Use a small block under the engine to support it while you remove the magneto cover, flywheel and bendix gear. Look for broken teeth on the bendix gear ( starter drive) and metal particles stuck into your stator, or possibly a broken ignition pickup sensor.
        A shorted out stator will either have broken coil wiring or just be discolored from excessive heat. If you see one coil that looks burnt or has damage from broken gear teeth, replace the stator assembly. Be sure to get all of the metal particles out from the starter area and off of the magneto cup which is magnatized and will hold broken particles in it. Inspect the 6 allen bolts that hold the magneto cup onto the flywheel as they are known to come loose too. If bad or loose, you cannot re-use them. You must buy new bolts and replace them. Use red loc-tite if you replace them.

Any one or a combination of the above can cause blown fuses at the MPEM, so check all of those items. Stator, pickup, starter drive and magneto cup. You do not want to have to do this twice.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
        X