2---2000 Gtx Ltd's Seized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2---2000 Gtx Ltd's Seized

Have a 2000 GTX LTD, broke steering cable while riding, used the other ski to tow this one to dock (fresh water). Used broke ski engine to assit in tow. Brought to dealership for repair. hey got the cable in but were unable to install. They thought it was the wrong cable but Seadoo said no. This is the end of July. Owner calls end of October says new mechanic put it right in but,,, tried to started BOTH skis just alike and sounds like they need new batteries. I said ok put them in. @ weeks later i go to pick them up and the owner says theres a problem. The batteries were ok but the engine on BOTH bikes are seized. They pulled one head and seems the ring is rusted to the wall. They have since been soaking cylinders with oil..... what happened?
    This occured after Hurricane Katrina but he said he got no flooding which appears to be true.
    Both bikes same models...
    No flushing after putting them on trailer as we were in fresh water.
    Both were running fine when put on trailer.
    Last edited by JAY70458; 12-13-2005, 03:55 PM. Reason: add to

Re: 2---2000 Gtx Ltd's Seized

It sounds like they simply were not stored correctly. Rust only gets there from water/moisture, and it's only that bad on an otherwise good ski from operator error.

Most likely they now need two new engines or complete rebuilds. You won't know for sure until they are broken down for proper inspection.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Somehow, some way, these ski got some moisture in their motors. It could be very light rusting of the clyinder walls from just not fogging them, or they could have gotten some major water inside of them ( I do not know how if they were running on the trailer out of the water? ).

You can attempt to break them loose with a pipe wrench on the pto couplers, remove the sparkplugs and crank them over with the starter motor. See if water shoots out of the head. If so, the motors are toast.

Nobody can guess as to the amount of rust damage there may be.
      Bill O'Neal <br>
      WCM
      <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Thanks Bill, They removed the head on one bike and found lite surface rust on cylinder wall and they said it appeared ring rusted to cylinder wall.
        they have tried breaking it loose and are now soaking it with motor oil.

Comment

I can tell you right now, if a slight bump on the top of the piston using a block of wood and a hammer won't free it up, your crankshaft is rusted and froze up. When only the rings are stuck, you can usually free it up with the starter motor. This doesn't look to good.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM

Comment

How fast did you tow the ski? faster then 5 mph?

Comment

He said they were both running at the time they were towing the broken one with the other one, so the towing speed is not important.
              Bill O'Neal <br>
              WCM

Comment

I've had pretty good luck freeing up a rusted up cylinder with PB penetrating Catalyst oil. I think it was discussed in another thread in this forum.:emoticont
                I slept in a Holiday Inn last night:D

Comment

I agree with Bill. Good luck.

Comment

and before you let them rebuild that motor, get a total on how much its going to cost you. Reason being, for shop to do a motor swap out with a new one is going to cost you around $3000.
                    I have a motor up for sale if your interested in it, shoot me a pm or email me, shooter98xpl@hotmail.com
                    SHOOTER

Comment

Thanks everyone......Will Do..

Comment

Working...
                      X