Need help with hx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with hx

Hi. I'm new to this forum but hv read a lot of helpful info. Just bought a used HX recently and having a great time with it.

Problem is... on any outings, it starts ok the first time. When u ride it around a bit then stops somewhere for more than half an hour, it has problems starting. When it does start up, as soon as you depress the throttle, it'll stall. I hv to let it idle for about 3 minutes or so, then it goes ok.

Does anyone know/suggest what the problem is? It came with a K&N flame arrester..... is it a rich fuel air mixture problem. Someone suggested i turn the low jet 1/4 turn clockwise. Would that help?

Kinda new at this :)

Re: Need help with hx

what happens when you use the choke.what do your plugs look like?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The rim around both plugs are black in colour. The choke helps starting up after stopping for more than half an hour or so.

Funny thing is...... when you try to start the ski a week later..... no choke is needed, and it starts up first go. Weird!! It's only when you're riding it then stopping for a break it has problem restarting.

Comment

It sounds like your carbs are just not tuned right. I would try turning your low speed screws out a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and see if that helps.

Comment

Unless you check the PO pressure to rule out any leaking N&S's you will just be guessing.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Originally posted by Phil STX15F
            It sounds like your carbs are just not tuned right. I would try turning your low speed screws out a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and see if that helps.
            Thanks but does turning low speed screw OUT means clockwise or anti-clockwise?:o

I had someone clean out the carbs about a month ago, maybe he didn't put it back properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill O'Neal2
              Unless you check the PO pressure to rule out any leaking N&S's you will just be guessing.
              I'm guessing PO means pop out pressure? N&S =needles & seats???? Sorry... not very good at this. Also there are no qualified PWC technicians where I am. Is it easy to do by myself?

Comment

Yes it is easy to test but you need a pop off gauge to test it and make sure the needle and seat are sealing.

Comment

Went to do some testing today. Followed the instructions on carb tuning in this forum via plugs.

Low jet was set to 1 1/2 turns (factory setting for HX)
                  High jet was set to 0 (factory setting for HX)

With new plugs, ran at 20% throttle for 15 minutes......both spark plug rim and the porcelain bit unstained. Low jet was slowly increased at 1/8 turn and tested in the same manner until 2 turns out before i got some dark brownish color on the rim but porcelain bit still white. At 2 turns out.....no top end speed and accelaration was very poor. At full throttle, tach. meter reads 5980 rpm. I think a HX is meant to do like 6800rpm.

I then decided to adjust the low jet back to 1 1/2 turns and adjust the high jet to 1/2 turn. This increased the top end speed and accelaration was improved marginally.

When i depress the throttle by about 20%, i get the normal low speed power about 10mph....but at 25%, the power drops to an idle, at 40% upwards...you get the normal accelarated power. The problem seems to be when depressing the throttle between 25% to 40% when there is no power at all.

Any suggestions?? As i really don't know what to do next except maybe to clean the carbs out again or try to find one of those PO testers.

Comment

Bill Oneal sells the pop off testers at his shop, it takes a little bit of running to color up new spark plugs and with after market air cleaners they usually require a re-jetting of the carbs.

Comment

Working...
                    X