What caused the failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What caused the failure?

I am rebuilding a GTX 951, I installed a new SBT crank and pistons. Before running this thing I am trying to figure out what caused the failure.

The PTO side piston had lost a skirt, all three main bearings on the PTO side were set up. The ski looks to have been ran for quite some time with the blown piston, there was metal shavings everywhere ( intake, exhaust, reeds were trashed) I tested the oil pump using a drill and it is pumping from both sides.

I bought this ski used and it was blown up last year and sat all winter, not sure is the mains went at time of failure or if it was from sitting with water.

Can I put this down as water injestion? What else could it be?

FYI: I also rebuilt both carbs and they look fine, ski has 72 hours on it.

Re: What caused the failure?

When an engine is run after the first seizure, it is often very difficult if not impossible to 100% determine the cause of failure. If you post some good pictures of all the aprts, maybe we can give you a better idea.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Do you know the proper way to test the oil pump? That is the only x fator for me. I do not wish to run pre-mix in this machine because it is will be used for longer rides.

The only thing i have found suspect with the machine is the fact that the oil tank was full to the top. WOndering if someone actually ran it out of oil, then filled it to try to cover the mistake when they brought it in for service.

To me the engine looks like an oil failure but only on one side.

How do you test oil pumps?

Thanks

Comment

The only way to test them 100% is to first pre-mix the tank and get it flowing to the carbs. Then disconnect the injection lines from the intake, plug the fittings, and measure the output from the lines at 7,000 RPM for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
          The only way to test them 100% is to first pre-mix the tank and get it flowing to the carbs. Then disconnect the injection lines from the intake, plug the fittings, and measure the output from the lines at 7,000 RPM for a minute.
          Do you have a CC or ounce flow rate for the oil after one minute?

Comment

At least 3.9ml per line

Comment

Working...
            X