800 Queations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 800 Queations

I purchased a new engine from SBT and rebuild all 4 carbs on my challenger 1800.

The other engine I did a top end overhaul myself.

The engine I did seems to be running well. The SBT engine is running about 300 RPM lower

The SBT engine also is spitting fuel/oil through bother the RAVE valves.

I now have run 3/4 of a tank of 92 octane with 25:1 ratio to break them in. (Oil injection pumps disconnected by removing plastic shaft)

Any suggestions?

Also what is the color of the engine (white) so I can paint the proper color instead of silver.

Re: 800 Queations

Unfortunately the paint is specially formulated for us to match the OEM colors. You can ask a local dealer if they have any paint options, but I am not aware of any. Most people use a high-temp engine paint from an auto store.

Leaking RAVE valve assemblies is usually from running too rich. Make sure your carbs are set correctly - low needles at 1 1/4 turns, highs at 0. If you need new RAVE parts to correct the leaks, just call in to Warranty and we'll send them out at no-charge. 877 330 0231

If you are running too rich, that will also drop top RPMs, as will any exhaust leak. If those both check out, the next thing to verify is your water regulator (looks like a RAVE valve on your waterbox). It's supposed to shut off water flow at top RPM. Simply pinch the water line going to the pipe and do a quick top RPM run for a few seconds. If you get your RPMs back, replace the regulator assembly.

Beyond that, verify your rotary valve is timed correctly, and try new plugs (NGK BR8ES gapped to 0.024").

25:1 is also way too much oil. The first tank is to be 32:1, 40:1 after that. You may be fouling your plugs.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers. Will do all you suggested.

What should WOT be assuming all is good.

Comment

About 6850 RPM.

Comment

Major problem now. The rave valve crashed up though the plastic portions. May I assume it has also crashed into the piston?

Comment

No. They don't crash through anything. The plastic has melted form the blowby. You need replacement parts through warranty as I suggested.

Comment

Working...
            X