Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! SBT 720/717 Motor - ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

Hi,

Ok I realize there is a problem. My 717 idles fine, and acellerates to about mid power, but when the throttle is set to "wide-open" is when you start to notice lack of electrical power. The gauges stop, the stereo cuts out, and the engine starts to rapidly decelerate in RPM. The engine never stalls, but I have to move the throttle back to the starting position for the engine to "regain composure." Is it that I need 2 batteries to run all those apps at once on this boat, or is my charging coil or lightning coil or rectifier bad? I replaced the ignition and spark wires along with the magneto flywheel, but that is it electrical wise( I replaced those when I replaced the engine). The engine is an SBT rebuild from late 2004 and this problem started happening soon after I ran the boat through its 10th tank of gas last week. Also, I know the MPEM is fine because it was new in 2000. I am now in the process of removing the oil pump for suspision it is going to fail and instaling a block-off kit, so taking apart the flywheel casing to solve this problem is not a worry.

By the way the boat has a full-size 12V deep-cycle marine battery. I just refilled the cells with distilled water to the specified amount and charged the battery with a good charger.

Also- The problem may be the ground wire is connected to the exhaust manifold instead of to the flywheel casing like it was when originally new???

Re: HELP!! SBT 720/717 Motor - ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

Because you changed the MPEM 6 years ago doesn't make it known good. A dealer can test that for you along with the stator and pickup coil. Check your battery voltage while running, ake sure it doesn't drop.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Re: HELP!! SBT 720/717 Motor - ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

Originally posted by Technical Support
      Because you changed the MPEM 6 years ago doesn't make it known good. A dealer can test that for you along with the stator and pickup coil. Check your battery voltage while running, ake sure it doesn't drop.
      I forgot to add- the MPEM was tested fine a week or so ago.

Comment

Working...
      X