Super BN carb rebuild kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super BN carb rebuild kit

rebuilding the carb for my 97 GTI with a SBT super bn rebuild kit and was wondering if I should replace the original needle valve arm spring? What should the stock pop-off pressure be so that I can evaluate the condition of the old spring or determine which of the two new springs that came with the kit to use?

Re: Super BN carb rebuild kit

Anywhere in the 30's works well for stock. If your stock spring is still good, reuse it.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I replaced all parts with new from the kit except I left the original spring and needle valve arm in place after of course cleaning them first. I then adjusted the needle valve lever height only slightly (maybe < 010") . The low speed mixture needle was 1 turn out, the high speed was 1 3/8 turns out, which I put them back to this position. The pop-off pressure tested at about 35-36 psi. I had just gotten through the final phase of the ten gallon break-in. The ski is lacking in power from idle to slightly beyond half throttle and then the power increases beyond half to the 90% throttle allowed by the break-in proceedure. I determined that it is running rich in the lower throttle range by applying choke very slightly to see the affect; and it seemed to get worse. I closed the low speed mixture needle about 1/4 turn and it seemed to improve slightly. The high speed needle has one of those restricter caps on it, but I removed it to check the turns, clean and replace the o-ring. Why does the manual show 0 turns out for the high speed needle? Could this cause the condition I trying to describe? Is the pop-off pressure OK.

I don't know how this ski ran previously as I bought 2 GTI's with one having a bad motor, just though the rebuild would be a good idea for the age of the ski. The other ski does not exihibit this condition.

Comment

Please do not jump into someone else's thread, start your own.

Is your ski stock or do you have aftermarket equipment such as air cleaners?

Comment

That was actually my son's login on my behalf. The ski is entirely stock.

Comment

It has a new sbt 720 as part of my restore, if that matters

Comment

If stock, then those carb settings are way off. If there were turned out that far to compensate for poor running, or if it does not run in the correct stock settings, I suggest rebuildig the carb.

Comment

So the pressure is OK? Should I try the high speed mixture at 0 turns out. and I beleive the low is to be at 1 1/2 or something like that.

Comment

I guess I assumed the previous settings were OK, Like I said the engine was bad, so I never knew what it ran like previously

Comment

Correct on all counts.

Comment

Working...
                    X