1997 GSX 787 New SBT Crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 GSX 787 New SBT Crank

Ok smarter than me guys! I got a GSX 787 in the shop! It had the crank bearings locked up got it to turn and did a compression test. 120 lbs per cylinder I called you guys and ordered a new crank. Carb kits, RAVE kits. Put new crank in and installed into boat. Within seconds demolished the top end. I found that the RAVE valve hit the rings. I figured that i must have done something very wrong in the install. So i pulled the motor again and could not find what that wrong was. I installed a new top end and reinstalled in to boat. I turned it over with the head off and with the head on with no problem. Then installed plugs and fired her up. Lasted about a min then she droped to about 60lbs on the rear cylinder again! I have not returned to disasemble the top again but after pulling the plugs I pulled the RAVE caps and pushed down on the RAVE vavle and can feal it hit! Suggestions PLEASE!

Re: 1997 GSX 787 New SBT Crank

That doesn't make sense unless you installed uncut RAVE vales into a oversize bore top-end, or you put the pistons in backwards, or didn't install the rings correctly. What did you do with each of those?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

I know that it does not make sense, The pistons are stock bore 82mm! The top end was perfect before i started. The only thing I did was to change the o-rings and baffels for the valves and clean. Is there any type of timing issues that you can think of? I am at a loss as to what to do!:emoticonr

Comment

OK so! Tell me the location of the finger port! What side of the RAVE this is my only thought as well! Finger port towards the Rave or Away?

Comment

The boost port has nothing to do with piston alignment. You align pistons by the arrow on the top. On Sea-Doo's it always goes towards the exhaust port. On your particular engine that is also the intake port side. The boost port happens to be on the opposite side. If you installed them backwards, you simply snagged the ring on the exahust port.

Comment

Say this one more time please! IF i am reading this right I have put them in wrong. The finger port is facing the opasite side of the RAVE? That is what i was thinking that i was catching the ring stud!

Comment

Correct. The RAVE valve is at the exhaust port - boost port, away.

Comment

Well lessons learnt
                Thanks I am so glade that i have a direction to go towards! :)

Comment

Working...
                X