Blown motor on a 96 XP, options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown motor on a 96 XP, options?

Hey everyone, I have a 96 Seadoo XP with a blown motor (I haven't seen it yet but this is how I bought the chasis), supposedly its only got 15psi in one of the cylinders.

I'm picking up the chasis as I want to make it a project to rebuild it. I'm fairly good with working on cars and my buddy is an auto-mechanic. We are wondering how complex these systems are to work on. Also wondering if trying to rebuild the motor is worth a shot or if its better to just purchase a new motor and swap it in.

Any feedback is appreciated.

God's blessings,

- J

Re: Blown motor on a 96 XP, options?

You can get a nice rebuilt at SBT for about a grand, unless you just enjoy the process thats probably the best way to go. Otherwise if you do it yourself, be sure to do a full tear down and remember that cleanliness is next to godliness. And plan on spending more than a grand. Saving money by rebuilding in your garage is a myth. These engines are very simply but remember that they operate under severe loads and a small defect will quickly lead to a failure, you cannot depend on oil film to save you. The crankcase has to seal and the crank-connecting rods-piston-rings have to be set up properly. Pay close attention to ring end gap spacing and stagger

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I see the Seadoo 787 motor is the one I would replace it with. I'm curious though, do any of the bigger Seadoo motors fit in this application or am I stuck with the default motor? I'm wondering if upgrading the motor might be worthwhile as long as I have it apart.

Thanks and God's blessings,

- J

Comment

No you can not swap blocks. If you want a larger engine, sell it and buy a newer ski.
        SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
        We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
        Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

The 96 XP with the 787 engine is PLENTY FAST for fun.

Not to mention that the XP hull rides like a champ, and the 787 engine is a power house.

I would stick with what you have. Swap the engine with an SBT since it comes with an awesome warranty. From there you will actually enjoy installing the motor and riding it.

Comment

Working...
          X