951 "white" crankcase question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 951 "white" crankcase question

My buddy just bought a used not working 97 GSX Ltd carb motor. I did a compression test and found 130 and 30. Pulled the cylinder and found a beat the hell piston and cracked sleeve on one cylinder. I sent the cylinder to SBT for an exchange, SBT received it on the 28th of July. I have also noticed that on the crankcase on the right side of the motor(looking from the back of the ski) has a small section in the middle of the case that has turned brown from what looks to be heat (paint is also chipping) What could be the prob??? Or is that something that just "happens" over time??? The crank rotates smoothly and dosen't seem to have any weird sounds to it. Ever see this problem?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by boise137; 08-03-2006, 11:31 PM.

Re: 951 "white" crankcase question

That is from a failure of the counterbalance oil/bearing/gear nesh or a combo thereof. If it rotates freely, most likely the bottom end has already been replaced.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Technical Support
      That is from a failure of the counterbalance oil/bearing/gear nesh or a combo thereof. If it rotates freely, most likely the bottom end has already been replaced.
      I think your right....from the cleanliness of the pistons it looks like the last owner had rebuilt the motor but left something in the gearcase, Anyother way to check the counterbalance without taking apart the lower end?? I just don't want to put a new cylinder and pistons on there and have it do it again. Any suggestions on cleaning the lower end??

Comment

Nope.

Comment

What is the turn around time on a full motor exchange?? I think I'm gonna go that route.

Comment

Please call in for your gauranteed ship date, we are extremely busy this time of year.

Comment

Working...
            X