'97 XP starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 XP starting problems

I've had the ski for 2 years now and have never been able to find a fix. The ski is all stock. The problem is that it is extremely hard to get started.

I've replaced all of the old fuel lines and then had the carbs rebuilt and while the carbs were out being done, I replaced the fuel baffle. I also added a primer in place of the choke. I've gone through several batteries and have pulled the carbs a second time to double check everything. Once you get the ski started, it'll run great. I love the ski when it's running! But, I won't take it too far from the dock because if you were to fall off and kill the motor, you might not get it started again. It seems to start a lot easier out of water than in. In the water, you can sometimes get it started again, but it can take more than 30 secs of cranking to get fired up. I've killed the batteries on more than one occassion.

It feels like the carbs are losing their prime - is it possible than when reinstalling the baffle that I didn't get everything tight enough and the fuel system isn't holding pressue? I'm lost for ideas and would appreciate any recommendations...

Re: '97 XP starting problems

Sounds like it's flooding out, but I'm no expert. You could send it to me, and be rid of the problem. LOL
    When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

Comment

I'm reading more and more about the N&S being replaced. It does start more easily with the throttle fully opened. I had the carbs rebuilt by Robert @ jetskimechanic 2 years ago and figured these would've been replaced at that time.

Comment

Well, I work on cars. I know that if you hold the throttle all the way open, it shut's off the injectors. Don't think that's it's the same with carbs though....
        When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

Comment

Holding the throttle wide open on a carbureated machine allows more air into the motor to compensate for an overly rich mixture.
          Either replace the needles and seats, or adjust the low speed adjusters inward to fix the problem, but adjusting the LS adjusters will not fix the problem if the N&S are leaking.
          Bill O'Neal <br>
          WCM
          <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

Working...
          X