951 Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 951 Problems

Awhile ago I could not get the starter out of my 951 so I ended up yanking the motor as I had most things off anyway just to get to the starter.

My starter came in today and I still have problems....

My engine turns over completely by hand by the way. The compression is 130 on both cylinders. mind you that reading came through while the engine was barely turning over. not sure how real it is.

When I start it with no plugs in turns over fine. I put the plugs in and turned the motor over directly connected to the battery on my garage floor and it did the same thing that it did before I got the new starter. Basically it turns over for a few seconds and then locks. You can then here the starter squeel without turning the motor. It is not electrical it is something in my motor.

Prior to putting the starter on I noticed metal slivers (dark black) inside where the starter goes. (quite a few) The teeth on the old starter are fine and the gear inside appeared to be fine. Could there be something shot inside the flywheel area to allow the motor not to turn over ?

I have only had this machine one season and I am pretty sure the old owner ran it in salt water as there was lots of seaweed in it. (bought it off of Ebay) There is also rust at the PTO spine where the driveshaft goes...

Thoughts and comments please...

Re: 951 Problems

Yes the bedix could be bad in your flywheel housing. You'll just need to tear it down for inspection.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Looks like it is bad. It engages and then sticks and I had to manually push it back. Sometimes the starter was spinning without the bendix engaging at all.

At least I don't feel bad about taking my motor completely out for the starter as I had to remove the flywheel now anyway.

I ordered one from the dealer today including the little plastic piece to hold it in place and the spring. The grand total is $400 Canadian with tax ! I can't beleive that part costs that much. Does anyone out there sell this part ? I would be happy to cancel my order and order online.

Thanks !

Comment

I have them for $125 new oem.

626 914 9509 weekdays.
        Bill O'Neal <br>
        WCM
        <a href="http://www.watercraftmagic.com"

Comment

I ended up getting one on Ebay for $160. arhhh Oh well I will make sure I check out your site next time first. Do you ship to Canada ?

Wayne

Comment

It was a real beotch to get that flywheel off. Impact gun couldn't do it. had to get out the torch. Bendix has several teeth missing. Problem solved :) !!

Comment

Re: 2000 sea doo millenium edition 951 Problems

Ive kind fo got the same problems but the difference is this... the starter and ring gear was replaced on this machine and a new battery... mine turns over pretty slow and then the starter sounds as if it disengages and just wings over for a minute. could this be the same issue as above? motor sounds fine if you can keep starter going to get it to fire?? any help would be great.

Comment

sounds exactly the same as my problem. imo yank the motor and check your bendix:

http://www.lineonedist.co.uk/pics/pr...e%20Bendix.jpg

your starter engages the bendix and this engages on the flywheel

Comment

Originally posted by SeadooRapidRider
                  sounds exactly the same as my problem. imo yank the motor and check your bendix:

http://www.lineonedist.co.uk/pics/pr...e%20Bendix.jpg

your starter engages the bendix and this engages on the flywheel
                  No need to yank a motor to replace the starter gear on any 951 Sea Doo. Remove the pipe, Block up front of motor and remove the motor mount. Remove the front cover, flywheel and the plastic holder bracket for the starter drive. Replace starter drive. Reverse process to reinstall all parts. You will need a new exhaust manfold to headpipe gasket.

To stop it from kicking in and out, remove all ground wires and clean and reattach them to the motor, there are three grounding wires/cable attached to the motor. If the main ground cable is corroded inside the plastic sheath, replace the ground cable with a new cable. Remove, clean and reconnect all of the connectors on the MPEM and the one on the mag cover. This should stop the intermittent power supply problem. If not, you may need to try another MPEM in the ski, as this can happen when there is a glitch in the MPEM unit or in the lanyard post or post connector. ALWAYS USE A FULLY CHARGED AND LOAD TESTED BATTERY.
                  Bill O'Neal <br>
                  WCM

Comment

Hi Bill,

How can you take out the starter drive (I've been calling it a bendix) without removing the flywheel ?? Do you mean a starter or the Bendix ? I had my motor out and the only way I could get the bendix out was by removing the flywheel. Am I missing something ??

Comment

Originally posted by SeadooRapidRider
                      Hi Bill,

How can you take out the starter drive (I've been calling it a bendix) without removing the flywheel ?? Do you mean a starter or the Bendix ? I had my motor out and the only way I could get the bendix out was by removing the flywheel. Am I missing something ??

I said "remove the flywheel" along with a bunch of other things. Re-read my answer.
                      Bill O'Neal <br>
                      WCM

Comment

Bill you are good because I had an impact gun on my flywheel and I still had to torch it to get it off. I can't imagine doing that inside the Seadoo especially with gas lines.

Wayne

Comment

Never put a torch into the hull !

The 951 flywheels usually will pop right off if you use the OEM type pullers.
                          Bill O'Neal <br>
                          WCM

Comment

Working...
                          X