Starter help i need some advice on what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter help i need some advice on what to do

I just dropped a new engine in my 97 GS and all I get is a click from the solenoid. I ohmed out ALL the battery cables and connections and all were 0-1 so I know I got good connection. I had battery voltage going to the cable (with starter button pressed) at the starter, I believe I had it on the starter stud too, I got NO hint of the starter trying to crank. No humming, buzzing, not even the bendix coming out. 2 years ago the starter did work when I tried to get it running for the previous owner so I don't think the starter just went just from sitting 2 years. What should I do? Take it out and bench test it? I jumped the two lugs on the solenoid and got NOTHING, not even sparks or anything like even a Bad starter would show. All help's appreciated. Thanks, Sean

Re: Starter help i need some advice on what to do

Try running a set of jumper cables to your post on the starter and leave the ground on the battery, just bump that post and see if it is the starter, just be careful no to touch any metal on the engine!! you can take the starter out and disassemble it if you have to! They are easy to take apart and possibly all you have to do is clean up the end of the armature, i had to do it to mine, because it was also sitting for a couple years, and i havent had any problems since!! good luck let me know how you make out, i can talk you through the starter process if you need :emoticont

p.s--Take your ohm meter and on the sylenoid check the voltage on the one side coming from the battery, then hit the start button and see what the voltage is on the other side, if you have at least 12 volts when you hit the start button, you can assume that the starter is messed up
    Last edited by Shawnharris24; 07-22-2007, 01:58 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Working...
    X