1997 Sportster 717 post install q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Sportster 717 post install q's

Installed the 717 with the oil block off and new rotary valve, SBT instructions and video's were gold. Engine started right up and idles and run great. Did the idle, 20%, 50% and up to 90% break in over weekend. Was worried as I could not find timing mark and installed same postion as old one.

5 questions.

1) Since I have the oil block off, (with half full oil tank) will I need to change the case oil at some point as the oil does not appear to circulate back to the tank?

2) I ran the break in oil for the initial run in. My local PWC shops recommends Amsoil 2 stoke for the premix. Is that ok or should I use Bombardier?

3) Plugs so far are black but neither wet or dry. Do I wait until I am running 40:1 premix before judging mixture?

4) Off topic but on the 1997 Sportster I noticed a male plug with 2 wires on a inner transom clip. Could not find the female half anywhere and don't recall if I disconnected or not. Is this a extra plug for speedometer or any option? The only gauge on this boat is fuel and that is inop.

5) Compression on both cylinders 125 psi.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bigfig; 10-08-2007, 06:55 PM.

Re: 1997 Sportster 717 post install q's

I am curious about this also. I just rebuilt one of my two engines...I have 120 PSI in the non-rebuilt one...so hopefully that one is good.

My question about the oil block off kit is regarding the two large oil ports on each engine that apparently are supposed to be connected in series with each engine, and then back to the tank. I wanted to remove the oil tank....is there a way to get around having the oil tank in the boat...like just hooking up the oil cooling lines from engine to engine to let it circulate between the two....?

Not trying to jack your thread...I just thought I would post in here as well because we have similar questions. (And I want to also keep reading what people have to say about your questions because I will be in the same "boat" in about a week or so after I pop the newly rebuild engine in and get this thing on the water).
    Cheers.
    1997 Speedster (twin 720s)
    London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Re: 1997 Sportster 717 post install q's

Hmm, I just read this thread and found it interesting/informative:

http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...=oil+block+717
      1997 Speedster (twin 720s)
      London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
      X