No announcement yet.

Can flywheel on rebuilt 787 be added ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can flywheel on rebuilt 787 be added ?

Hi, I am not familiar with all of the mechanical requirements,
    so I wanted to know if I can purchase a rebuilt 787
    motor with the flywheel already installed? I have rebuilt
    my carbs and my rave valves, but not much else.
    Thanks,
    LindaP

Re: Can flywheel on rebuilt 787 be added ?

I can't say what SBT policy is on that, but I can say that removing the flywheels isn't all that difficult, once you know how much torque you can apply (and how to apply it). Having done the other stuff, you can do this part too :-)

The PTO flywheel is pretty easy to take off, with a 10" of 12" pipe wrench. If you use a cheater bar on the pipe wrench have someone to keep the motor from rocking, you'll have it off in no time.

The magneto flywheel comes off with a puller; I used a Harbor Freight puller that cost maybe $14. Just be sure to thread the bolts all the way thru the flywheel---you'll have to purchase some longer bolts at Lowes or elsewhere, the ones in the the puller kit won't be long enough.

The other trick to the mag flywheel is "torque away" on the puller center bolt...don't be shy. I was worried about how much torque/pressure I could safely apply to the mag shaft end...after several folks told me "you can't break it", I put a cheater bar on a 1/2" drive, and that flywheel flew off. That's another tip--put a piece of carpet or some towels down, when it comes off, the mag flywheel will probably go a coupla feet!

Are ya near Jax?

Comment

Working...
    X