97 xp fast but stuck around 48 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 xp fast but stuck around 48 mph

I can jump out of the hole hard, but it just stays at 45 46 47 48. Is there something i can do to get the top end sailing. Could it be an impeller issue.

Re: 97 xp fast but stuck around 48 mph

what kinda rpms are you turning?
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

to be honest i have no idea it sounds like it is in the higher range. i need to buy a tach for it.

Comment

How are you measuring the speed? Via the speedo? Those are not even close to being accutate, especially in an 11 year old ski.

In order to properly gauge your ski's speed and how it's running, you need a GPS and a tach. Your 97xp came with a tach from the factory...
        Dan Solie -
        04 RXP (the "Instigator")
        94 xp (freestyle mods)
        95 xp (faster than the 94)
        JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

i have run it next to another seadoo and a waverunner. unfortunatly my seadoo did not come with a tach. It is on my important list.

Comment

Buy a tach lol.. look on ebay. Or go to your boaters supply store and buy a microtach or something similar for 2cyl motors...
            Dan Solie -
            94 xp (freestyle mods)

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

will do. what should i look for compared to rpms i am turning. if mid 7 t0 9 what are the possible problems. if it is lower than mid 7, would a top end kit do the trick. i appreciate the help.

Comment

It's actually a bit more complicated than that... Your rev limit is 7200 +/- 50 RPM.. So, if you are running..say... 6400, then we need to look at carbs, plugs, plug wires etc. Give me a compression reading on both cyls and I'll let you know if you need a rebuild or not.

If your RPM's are good 6900+ then I would be looking at the prop, or underside of your hull. Look for a loose intake grate, a branch hanging down etc.

In the time that you have owned the ski, was it "faster before", is this a new thing? or has the ski always been like this. Are there any mods to the ski. Some people install impellers for low end grunt and sacrifice the top speed.. Did the previous owner possibly do that?
                Dan Solie -
                94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

i got to looking underneath the ski and my intake grate was loose. the back to bolts were not even in. the front bolt was the only one that was snug. its an r&d. what would this do? I saw where you told me to look at this. i have a tach on order so i can see what this baby is turning. we checked the compression on the cylinders last summer and they were very good. I have only had this thing for a year now.

Comment

Check compression again.. A lot can happen between a ride or two.. especially with a winter season... A person should (my opinion) check compression on the ski's at least 3 times a year... Once at the beginning of the season to get a baseline, on somewhere in the middle (especially after you suck in water), and one when your done for the year... on ALL 13 of the ski's I have here at my house, I know what each cyl is doing and where it should be.

The R&D is going to scrub some speed, without question! But, it will load the pump better and give you a better holeshot and tracking/hookup while turning.

My bet is going for the loose bolts were pulling the intake down, scrubbing a lot of speed.. Tighten those back up (your lucky, when the grates snap off, they destroy your pump, and toss you over the handlebars like you pulled the e-brake..). See what she does.

If you want to get her back up to the 53-55mph stock speed, ditch the R&D.
                    Dan Solie -
                    94 xp (freestyle mods)

Comment

appreciate the help

Comment

Working...
                      X