1994 seadoo xp VTS troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 seadoo xp VTS troubleshooting

First, This is such a great board for newbies like me. If this site is related to pwctoday, please tell them to approve my account. I have not gotten an email from them to activate.

Now to the business at hand. I thought I had a serious VTS problem, but so far it doesn't seem that way.

I checked the fuses in the electric box, both the 15A and 5A are good. I visually inspected them, I should have test them but I did not.

I pulled the motor and tested it with 12V it moves freely in both directions.

I moved the VTS cable by hand and the worm drive works great.

I plugged wires into the VTS motor, started the engine and tried the push buttons. Niether up nor down gets the motor to spin. There is a quick bump from the motor, but nothing.

With the volt meter, I am getting +12.2 and -12.2 from the buttons to the blue/orange green/orange wires that are going to the motor.

Is it possible that the motor is still bad and there is to much resistance to allow the motor to spin although it spins good when hooked up to a 12V battery trickle charger (low amps)

Any thoughts from the pros?
    Last edited by njcowboy; 03-31-2008, 06:41 PM.

Re: 1994 seadoo xp VTS troubleshooting

You will need to take apart the VTS motor, there is a drive mech that works off the drive gear, that's probably popped off or jammed. On those older VTS's there is no "stop" that makes the motor shut down, so people hold the button too long, and eventually it jams it up... Easy fix though.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Originally posted by dsolie
      You will need to take apart the VTS motor, there is a drive mech that works off the drive gear, that's probably popped off or jammed. On those older VTS's there is no "stop" that makes the motor shut down, so people hold the button too long, and eventually it jams it up... Easy fix though.
      I took the motor out trying to reduce the load on the motor. There is a stainless shaft that has (what looks like) a gear on the top of it.

Even when connected this way, the relays click and the motor "bumps" in one direction or the other, but then the voltage drops out.

It has to be either the VTS module or the gear motor. I hate to swap parts just because, but I guess I might have to. Of course it is the two most expensive parts.

Comment

Wouldn't that blow tje fuse?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Comment

What is the best position for the jet pump full down? I have it about 3/4 of the way down now. Probably not a good idea to be jumping motor up or down while its in the water. LoL. any thoughts anyone?

Comment

How about the switch itself. Isn't the module protected by its fuse? If motor moves with 12volts up and down, ans fuses are still on wouldn't the pros say its a faulty handlebar switch??????? S.B.T. FORUMS ARE HOME DEPOT OF P.W.C. HEADS WORLD WIDE[emoji881]

Comment

Originally posted by ronrymanr View Post
              What is the best position for the jet pump full down? I have it about 3/4 of the way down now. Probably not a good idea to be jumping motor up or down while its in the water. LoL. any thoughts anyone?

Best position for what goal?

Comment

Originally posted by ronrymanr View Post
                How about the switch itself. Isn't the module protected by its fuse? If motor moves with 12volts up and down, ans fuses are still on wouldn't the pros say its a faulty handlebar switch??????? S.B.T. FORUMS ARE HOME DEPOT OF P.W.C. HEADS WORLD WIDE[emoji881]

If handle bar switch is is question, test it. Put continuity test between the Purple wire and the Black/white wire, press up button. If continuity then good, if no continuity then bad. Then put continuity tester between the Purple wire and the Gray/White wire. If continuity then good, if no continuity then bad.

Comment

2 people total weight 305. river riding deep areas mostly choppy . Could I compare this xp with a vintage x2 when rideing 2 up.

Comment

Working...
                  X