Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble keeping 97 xp running

long story, gonna try to keep this brief
    i just bought a new battery, 16clb. followed instructions to the letter (filled acid to upper level, allowed to sit 1/2 hour, checked level, then charged). after the charge i get nearly 14 volts from a tester. under a test load of 100amp, volts shoot down to below 10volts, then only goes back back to about 12.4volts.
    cautiously optimistic, i install the new battery, the xp started and ran for 10 minutes, but died on the water when throttle was applied. then wouldn't restart. i put the tester on it and cranked the motor, only to see about 9.8 volts, knowing that i need at least 12.5volts.
    stumped and heartbroken, i loaded up the ski came home for the second time that day, and started doing a lot of reading here. i found that i was using a 12volt 10amp charger and should've been using a 12volt 2 amp charger.
    my question(s) is have i fried the battery by using this ? could this be the reason for quick draining? im going to buy the proper charger, but should i replace the battery as well or just try it again with the correct 2amp charge?

ps- love this site! very helpful community of knowledge i am greatful to have at my fingertips. thank you all

Re: trouble keeping 97 xp running

Depending on the quality of the battery, you probably toasted it. I would take it back and get another. Also, I would suggest a maintenance free battery, like and AGM. Deka and MagnaPower both make really good AGM batteries that you never need to fill etc.

Just charge and go.
    Dan Solie -
    04 RXP (the "Instigator")
    94 xp (freestyle mods)
    95 xp (faster than the 94)
    JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

the battery is a prostart powersport from pepboys. not my first choice, but was overly eager to get on the water. im going to exchange it for now as i dont have cash for a maintenance free at the moment but will invest in one down the road. ill post my results

Comment

got the new battery all set up trickling on 2 amps. the manual says to leave the vent caps off until done charging. is this true because im getting tiny bubble flow in the acid causing small trace amounts of acid to splash up? not very much, just enough to make tiny splatter on top of the battery
        also the battery reads at 85 percent when i put it on. any idea about how long this could take? im guessing at least a couple days

Comment

also the acid in the battery has turned a little cloudy brown, and battery is slightly warm. only been charging for a couple hours at 2amps. is this normal?

Comment

bump

Comment

You leave the vents off the batt so the hydrogen doesn't build up in the battery. The charge should only take a few hours.
              Dan Solie -
              04 RXP (the "Instigator")
              94 xp (freestyle mods)
              95 xp (faster than the 94)
              JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Working...
              X