1996 sea doo xp no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 sea doo xp no spark

Hey guys quick question. I have a 96 xp I just put a new sbt motor in last month and it ran great for 3 times out. I was riding it and it quit like someone pulled out the lanyard. Tried to start it and it would just turn over. I tested the spark with a tester and I have nothing. The guages and the vts work fine while cranking but I have no spark. I checked the battery while cranking and I am getting 12.6 volts. Do you think my next step should be the coil? I clipped back the ends of the wires 1/4" and put the boots back on and still no spark. Please help.

Re: 1996 sea doo xp no spark

Check the trigger inside of the magneto cover....they are prone to breaking on the 1996 models.
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the reply John. I am a bit ignorant on the technical lingo. What is the trigger? Is it a wire, if so what color. Is the trigger a wire that comes off of the stator? Please let me know.

Comment

Open up the front cover and you will see a bracket with a sensor on it (trigger) that reads the position of the flywheel at the magnets. This bracket has been known to fail as John mentioned. Trust me, you'll see it just dangling there if it's broken.
        Dan Solie -
        04 RXP (the "Instigator")
        94 xp (freestyle mods)
        95 xp (faster than the 94)
        JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

i have no spark either, just changed ignition coil. i tried boosting it and hooked the cables up backwards!! and smoke came out of the rear electrical box. is my mpem or cdi fried too?

Comment

yup... most likely your MPEM is toast. Possibly some wires too.

If you say screw it and don't want to fix it, I got a buddy in Red Deer who likes to tinker with broken ski's..
            Dan Solie -
            04 RXP (the "Instigator")
            94 xp (freestyle mods)
            95 xp (faster than the 94)
            JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Working...
            X