Help with 97 GSX, loses power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 97 GSX, loses power

I have a 1997 GSX that will start right up and run fine and then without apparent reason just quit. All of the gauges go dead and there is no power to anything. If I remove the DESS and reattach it may or may not restart initially but eventually after multiple reconnections of the DESS it will restart. Once it stops running it will only run for brief periods of time.

If it sits over night usually starts right up again only to start the process again. May run for an unpredictable period of time before it goes powerless.

Where do I start troubleshooting?

Re: Help with 97 GSX, loses power

Sounds like the dess post may be your problem. Try this test. With the lanyard removed from the post connect the test probes to the black and black/yellow and measure resistance, it should read open circuit, no continuity. Connect one test probe to the white/gray and the other to the switch terminal, it should read O ohm. (this is the middle contactor on the dess post). Connect test probe to the black wire and to the outer ring on the dess post and it should read O ohm. Place lanyard on dess post and test the black to black/yellow and you should have O ohms or close to it. Tom SBT tech.
    SBT Tech Support is here to help with your problems.
    We try to answer each question quickly and accurately.
    Please do not use Private Messaging for Tech Support, use the forums.

Comment

Working...
    X