Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: runaway engine

Originally posted by dsolie View Post
    It get's pinched, folded a little.. I have seen people spin the crank by hand while the cyls were on and not bolted down.. This lifts the cyl up and the piston skirt can snag the gasket etc..

Since I was not there, I have no clue but to guess. Another option would be the cyl base needs to be decked, as it's not flat... A machine shop can check that for you.

I always install my base gaskets with "Three Bond 1211".. A little bit goes a long way to ensure a little extra protection.

In order to remove and re-install the cyl in the ski, you have to remove the studs holding the cyl in place. You have to double-nut the studs so you can un-screw them. If they still have the small o-rings in each stud, it's even more of a pain in the arse. Once all the studs are out, you can just pull the cyl up, and out. Re-installing will take 2 people (or more). Because you have to install the cyl at an angle and get the pistons on correctly..

I have done it.. it's a pain.. I prefer to pull the motor, but then the pipe etc has to come all out again, also a pain sometimes
    I do have the o-rings on each stud.

I think I may have tried to remove the cylinder that way once before but I remember not being able to pull the studs completely out because of the angle the motor sits on. this is a 98 gsx limited

Comment

A couple of the studs (probably the lower ones) will probably stay with the cyl. You just need to un-thred them from the cases..
      Dan Solie -
      04 RXP (the "Instigator")
      94 xp (freestyle mods)
      95 xp (faster than the 94)
      JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Originally posted by dsolie View Post
        A couple of the studs (probably the lower ones) will probably stay with the cyl. You just need to un-thred them from the cases..

AHH! thank you. now to figure out which way is less painful and quicker.

Comment

So would you unbolt the carbs, and then exhaust manifold from the cylinder and split the cone and remove as one piece? Would that be the way to go? then using your method to remove cylinder?

Comment

pull the engine.....

because the hard part isn't getting the cylinder off while in the hull. the hard part is getting the pistons back in the cylinder when doing it in hull. leave the pipe in one piece. before tear done measure squish and report. nows the time to select base gasket thickness.

Comment

Re: pull the engine.....

+1! Don't split the pipe...

Sometimes it's just easier to pull the motor.. But, once you have done it a few times, it's really no difference.
              Dan Solie -
              04 RXP (the "Instigator")
              94 xp (freestyle mods)
              95 xp (faster than the 94)
              JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

Working...
              X