Engine alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine alignment

Getting ready to drop my new SBT 951 in my '99 GTX Ltd. Been told by a few mechanics that an eyeball job would do just fine. I am totally milked dry and can't afford to buy an alignment tool. Was debating on running by the dealer to see if the could do an alignment. I would take out the jet assembly. Wonder what they would charge to do this. Don't think it would take too long. I am out of money, sick of bologna sandwiches, and way past ready to get this heap back on the water. Is it really necessary, worth it, and what are the consequences of eye-balling it?
    1999 SEADOO GTX Limited
    1997 SEADOO SPX
    1996 SEADOO SPX

Re: Engine alignment

Here's the choices:

Dealer about $150.00 or more.

Rent tool about $75.00 plus shipping both ways

Buy SBT tool $150.00 plus shipping.

Do nothing and "eyeball" it $0.00.

Total destruction of the splines on the driveshaft, impeller and flywheel due to improper alignment $800.00-$1200.00 PLUS an alignment!

Your choice!
    John Kubiak
    Powersports Technical Training Professional
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Sea-Doo Tech 13736
    PWC Tech since 1988 (22 years)
    PowerSports since 1976 (34 years)
    NEVER BUY TIRES AT A "BLOW-OUT" SALE
    Please do not use Private Messaging, use the forums.

Comment

Wow.
      These things are too expensive!
      They take every penny I have!
      Thaks....
      1999 SEADOO GTX Limited
      1997 SEADOO SPX
      1996 SEADOO SPX

Comment

Originally posted by fireball451 View Post
        Wow.
        These things are too expensive!
        They take every penny I have!
        Thaks....
        Welcome to being a Jetski owner..
        Dan Solie -
        04 RXP (the "Instigator")
        94 xp (freestyle mods)
        95 xp (faster than the 94)
        JS550 (the toothpick & the loaner)

For FREE Seadoo Manuals - Click HERE!!!!

http://www.tripleateam.com/water/v/U...ery/Dan-Solie/

**** Please do not PM me. I don't do PM's.... Please post your question on the correct forum so that all can see and learn. Thanks! ****

Comment

I borrowed the local dealership's alignment tool. They were so nice @ Andrew's Sports in St. Thomas, Ontario. I gave him $50 for letting me use it.

The tool is quite the unit.....kinda hard to make....necessary to use though.

I just read the page for the tool...you can rent it from SBT. I don't see one of the parts that I used with the one that I borrowed from the shop though, with this one from SBT. There was a mock up of a jet drive that just had a hole in the middle to put this tool through. I don't know how this one works from SBT, but here is the link: http://www.sbtontheweb.com/Merchant2...roduct_Count=0
          Last edited by Craig_Canada; 08-20-2008, 08:55 AM.
          1997 Speedster (twin 720s)
          London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I believe even if you rent alignment tool from SBT it'll still cost you its value at $150.00.

You see, one buys it first then returns it for a partial refund - this I believe is how their rental service works. A buddy of mine did it and worked great. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by petron View Post
              I believe even if you rent alignment tool from SBT it'll still cost you its value at $150.00.

You see, one buys it first then returns it for a partial refund - this I believe is how their rental service works. A buddy of mine did it and worked great. Hope this helps
              "Belief is for church"
              Why don't you read the link before you post? You get refunded different amounts depending on how long you borrow the tool for.

I go boating on Sundays, while you're in church.
              London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Great job craig. Very smooth. ????

Comment

Called 2 local dealerships and asked them how much for them to align my motor. Told them I would already have the jet pulled. One said about an hours worth and probably $70ish. The other said 2 hours and around $130ish.
                  Crap on them.
                  I just went ahead and purchased the tool myself from SBT.
                  I plan on learning these things and getting another one some day.
                  Got a local independent shop that works on ski's.
                  He doesn't have a tool but needs one.
                  Bet I can work a deal with him.
                  He help me, he can borrow it!
                  Helps to help......
                  1999 SEADOO GTX Limited
                  1997 SEADOO SPX
                  1996 SEADOO SPX

Comment

Originally posted by petron View Post
                    Great job craig. Very smooth. ????
                    Whatever

Originally posted by fireball451 View Post
                    Called 2 local dealerships and asked them how much for them to align my motor. Told them I would already have the jet pulled. One said about an hours worth and probably $70ish. The other said 2 hours and around $130ish.
                    Crap on them.
                    I just went ahead and purchased the tool myself from SBT.
                    I plan on learning these things and getting another one some day.
                    Got a local independent shop that works on ski's.
                    He doesn't have a tool but needs one.
                    Bet I can work a deal with him.
                    He help me, he can borrow it!
                    Helps to help......
                    Nice. I was thinking of buying one too...but like I said in my last post, this one that SBT is offering doesn't have the mock-up jet pump section where the alignment rod slides through. The picture is pretty vague....would you do me a favour when you get the kit, and take a pic of it for me? I just don't get how the rod aligns the engine to anything....
                    London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

From the item description:

This allows you to properly align your new engine with your pump shaft. This alignment is critical to ensure proper mesh of the shaft splines, and preserve the seals and bearings of your engine & pump systems.
                      This includes all parts - the shaft, three pump plates and shaft adaptors to do all Sea-Doo models. This is a rental tool if you chose to return it for a partial refund, otherwise it is a standard purchase.
                      If you return it within 30 days you will be refunded $75.
                      Returns between 31 and 60 days receive a $50 refund.
                      Returns after 60 days will receive a $25 refund.
                      Tools received by SBT that are not able to be reused due to mis-use or poor packaging will not receive any refund.

The pump plates shoould be what you are referring to.
                      Suppose to have what you need.
                      1999 SEADOO GTX Limited
                      1997 SEADOO SPX
                      1996 SEADOO SPX

Comment

Yeah, taking a picture of this alignment tool and posting it will be very handy. I recently purchased a new engine and will need to align. I too don't get how the rod aligns the engine, I actually agree with you craig.

Comment

From what I understand, the plates are machined to take the place of your pump. The rod them is in a precise location that the engine has to lign up to. The pump is not movable or adjustable, the engine is.
                          Somebody whit more experience could better explain it.
                          There is a tech video on here available to watch.
                          Think this is it:

http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...ad.php?t=12009
                          1999 SEADOO GTX Limited
                          1997 SEADOO SPX
                          1996 SEADOO SPX

Comment

I just don't get how these "plates" work...where do they get bolted to? The unit that I used like I said was a fake jet drive. It bolted up with the 4 bolts that hold the jet drive on, looks just like a jet drive housing, and it had a hole in the very middle of it that you slide the shaft through......the end of the alignment rod had a smaller diameter on it and you have to shim the engine until the rod goes right into the engine smoothly. Very straight forward....this "plate" thing has me boggled. I am going to watch that video now.....
                            London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yeah that makes sense now. Same idea as the tool that I used. Cool beans.

The only thing I can see about this plate method is that over time, the collar that the alignment shaft goes through, and the plate can lose it's tightness and become sloppy if it isn't attached solidly. It looks like it just fits in or something. Either way, it will work fine, just don't abuse the tool, and store it in a safe place.
                              London, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X